Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Danielle Kody

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-02-18

The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE) Empty
PostSubject: The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE)   The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 2:29 pm

Wow! I could feel my jaw dropping as I read this article. To have a synthetic mesh placed inside your body to help with a little urinary problem seems a little bit extreme. I feel sympathetic for Keeton, but I'm also really curious as to why she agreed to this right away instead of looking into it. Of course the doctor plays a huge role in what he tells (or doesn't tell, in this case) the patient, but why did she "trust him" without really knowing any of the details? A procedure like that is definitely not to be taken lightly! I am not saying it is her fault that she ended up losing her condo and become bed-ridden. I actually feel really bad for her and, honestly, it's a big concern that her doctor managed to leave those little bits of information out. So how do we really know what we're getting ourselves into when it comes to medicine and doctors? They have to deal with people like us everyday, what if we're just like every other person in line and, to some extent, do they really care when it comes to our special procedures? silent
Back to top Go down
Rad.w

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-09-08

PostSubject: Re: The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE)   The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 7:46 pm

I think that this shows how important it is to do research before ever getting any type of procedure, no matter how small or how big. Doctors can be wrong, as proven in many cases, and I think it's a good idea to get more than one opinion before doing any type of surgery. Back in the day doctors used to prescribe medication to women who were preganant and as a side effect the baby would be born with physical and mental problems. This still happens today. But at the same time, you never truly know how it feels to have to make a decision on surgery until you're put in that position. Sometimes if you're desperate for a solution you might not be so careful. I feel really bad for this person and I hope this stops happening to people because it's terrible!
Back to top Go down
Amy Chu

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE)   The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:28 pm

I agree with you, people should do some research before accepting any type of procedure. However, if someone's dying, and their only choice is to do the procedure in order to live, then they don't really have a choice, and would probably agree to it.

So, the decision is still in the patients hand, if she/he wants it or not. But I think all doctors should go through the whole procedure before doing it, but then again, if a patient really trusted their doctor, they wouldn't need every single detail, so maybe this is the reason why the girl you mention in the article did the surgery.
Back to top Go down
Rad.w

Registration date : 2009-09-08

PostSubject: Re: The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE)   The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 11:10 pm

Yeah, I agree with you. I think it's always a hard decision trying to decide whether or not you should go through with something that could be life changing. And I absolutly agree that sometimes its not really a choice but more of a lose lose situation. I can't imagine being in that position. I never really thought of it that way either but now that you mention trusting the doctor, it made me think of what it would be like to be scared and in a really hard situation. Who would you be able to rely on?- the doctor. So yeah, I can see why a person wouldn't feel the need to find out every detail. It is a scary thought and hopefully new technology and advances in medicine will help individuals who have suffered the negative effects of surgery. It's amazing what scientists have been able to come up with but when you read about all the disasters still out there it just makes you think how far weve come and how far we still have to go!
Back to top Go down
markmandrusiak

markmandrusiak

Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE)   The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 12:09 am

people don't realize that when they go in for any kind of procedure they put their life in the doctors hands. I suppose all we can do is trust that he/she is a responsible doctor and knows how to perform the operation before hand. Going from experience, often times patients don't have a choice but to trust their doctor, with an emergency surgery, so maybe we should just put our lives not so much into the doctors hands but those of fate
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: Re: The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE)   The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 2:51 am

A persons viewpoint can also be determined by their ethical views as well. One can be totally against any form of surgery and plan to live their life out. The other can be divided into two: (1). Will do everything there needs to do and will just jump into the first option givenn (2). Will do everything there needs to do but plan out and research the best option.
I believe the girl in the article was the first one, she really didn't understand that she could consider anything else but was too focused on getting healthier faster.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE)   The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Problem With Medicine (WEBSITE)
Page 1 of 1