Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12

Go down 
+6
Ciara Toppin
Derek Pottruff
Loteyk
markmandrusiak
Taylor Lashyn
Simrit Birdi
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-02-13

Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Empty
PostSubject: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 11:08 pm

When I read the description and saw the picture, I couldn't believe it!!!
To think a Chameleon could extend its tongueup to twice it body length in just 0.07 seconds, reaching an accerleration of 41g's....

The description said that Expansion and contraction of pigmented cells called Chromatophores allow the Chameleon to change color...
But it's not for camouflage and actually it stated that it was for Communication!!!!

If mankind could isolate those specific pigmented cells (Chromatophores), who knows what we could do with the ability to change color whenever we wanted too!!!

For example, a person is being chased by a group of muggers, they could camouflage within their surroundings and be safe!
But to even think of ever having that kind of technology would take years to make, but you would still have to isolate those Chromatophores !

Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Chamelons-tongue-portrait-photography
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 5:12 am

The fact that the changing of color is used for communication and not camouflage is surprising. One would think that if a chameleon were to change colors, especially if the change resulted in a blending with surroundings, that this would be to hide or blend in and not to communicate.
Also that is an interesting concept to consider. If humans can change color just like they change outfits, I think it would be fascinating. To see all your friends in different colors on different days would definitely change up the regular boring pale skin color that we all get in the winter. A neat idea, but as you said Simrit, we're likely a lot of years behind such technology as that.
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:16 pm

Well I don't get pale skin during winter cause im brown as wood Razz LOL

But i do understansd where ya coming from, and it would be cool to come to school being a different color of skin.

But what if we could take those specific cells and implant them in to our clothes? This would mean we could every color of that specific clothign and we only ever have to buy one piece of that clothing and have any color we wish! But stores who carry those clothes would lose SOOO much money... people only buying one piece of clothing.

We could do ashtonishing things with this kind of ability! For example, at night when your walkign across a dark street, you could change your color to an illuminating one and cars will see you, you can see where your going.
I hope one day we could maybe harness this kind of ability and use it for our own good. Smile king
Back to top Go down
markmandrusiak

markmandrusiak

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 3:24 am

i thought it was odd that the chameleon uses the color changing as communication rather then camoflage surprising too. perhaps camoflage is a minor perk of being able to change color. if i could change color, i'd be going stealth evrywhere!
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 2:11 pm

The minor perk would totally revolutionize our whole culture about warfare. Our army's could be camouflaged and just sneak into enemy territory. We could get people who are stuck in wore torn countries out way faster if they are camouflaged!

There would be so many great ideas and ways to use this kind of ability!
Back to top Go down
markmandrusiak

markmandrusiak

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 1:12 am

awesome idea simrit. thats so true too, if we could camoflage ourselves it would totally be to kill other people (humans' favorite passtime). is it just me or is the world trying to become more like cod. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 4:12 am

While this would be a very likeable thing to have, we have to look at some of the negatives that come out of this. Camoflouge would make criminals very hard to catch, especially at night. People could get away with crime like nothing. I wouldnt want some invisible dude breaking into my house
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Quote :
While this would be a very likeable thing to have, we have to look at some of the negatives that come out of this. Camoflouge would make criminals very hard to catch, especially at night. People could get away with crime like nothing. I wouldnt want some invisible dude breaking into my house

That's a perfect standing on the negatives Taylor, but i believe if could use these abilities responsibly, and maybe not give it to any one person. Maybe only use it when needed?

Maybe not let this sort of ability in the wrong hands, or maybe not let the ability be able to change into its surroundings? Maybe only a specific solors?
Back to top Go down
markmandrusiak

markmandrusiak

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 11:37 pm

if we had had this ability for millenia prior to today, wouldn't it be fair to say that we would have developed technology to prevent crimes due to camouflage. We already have infrared cameras and radar tracking for detecting people.
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 3:06 am

True, there likely will be some preventable technology, but there will be people who always find a way around this. And if you have an infarred camera lieing around when you wake up in the middle of your sleep thinking that someone may be in your house, then you shouldn't worry. Maybe in the future people will have this type of technology to prevent such events from occuring. But i think it would take a couple serious incidents to occur before there is any extreme preventative measures taken; sort of like if there is a car crash at an uncontrolled intersection - only after the crash will government take any sort of action and put lights up. I think that making this technology very expensive and exclusive could be one of the possible solutions, so that the desperate burglar is unable to get his hands on this technology
Back to top Go down
Loteyk

Loteyk

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 11:50 am

Think about it though. Taylor is right. What if terrorists or some crazed group got their hands on technology like this!? I think humans should only go so far in things such as this because as you said if it gets in the wrong hands, it could be dangerous. My view on human nature is that humans are naturally evil and are violent. I'd hate for a violent man to get this. People who have this also could use it for the wrong reasons which would be scary! it would be great if technology advanced this far but i think its a little too far. People and govts are corrupt and may use this as something bad. Preventable technology could be something like thermal vision to detect body heat but not everyone is going to have thermal vision. I think this is going too far.
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 4:16 pm

I understand where you coming from Kila K. But if we could prevent this to be used for the wrong reasons ... And we could suppossedly use it for the better of mankind, why wouldn't we!? You view on mankind is flawed! Not everyone is violent and evil! look at many people in history, Mahatma Gandhi, and Mother Theresa both were all about the non-violent actions! and both wanted peace not by war or violence. People are not just one good or evil, They are a mix of both. IF we could use this specific technology to help prevent many violent actions, maybe even stopp wars... Why wouldn't we! affraid
Back to top Go down
Loteyk

Loteyk

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:43 pm

ok sala Evil or Very Mad but everyone has evil within them. There's no such thing as an unviloent person, Ghandi and Mother teresa knew how to control themselves better than most though. rendeer

salaa kuthhhhhha! Sometimes technology can go too far and i still think regardless of what you say, that this might be taking things too far. Govt's are corrupt, they would be using this for the "better". the better of whom though? themselves or their nation? alot of selfish people out there salaa Mad
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:03 pm

SALAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol! afro flower elephant study scratch geek jocolor queen king farao

Yes there alot of selfish people out there, BUT why can't we encourage people to be more controlling like Ghandi , and Mother Theresa?
Why can't a government say it's for the better AND actually be for the better for the people?
I still strongly believe that if certain technology can help man kind prosper, We should use that certain technology to it's fulllest!!
Back to top Go down
Loteyk

Loteyk

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:18 pm

be real here... kutha. pirat

Others be like Ghandi and Mother Theresa? You kidding?
Most people are looking out for themselves! Preventable things are farr off if the technology is far off. Thermal vision would be sick tho Arrow

But if this technology gets in the wrong hands, watch outtt
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Yes it would be disasttrous for the wrong hands to get hold of this technology, thats why we have to prevent this atrocity to occur so we can only use this sort of technology for good of mankind!
Very Happy Cool
Back to top Go down
Derek Pottruff

Derek Pottruff

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:27 pm

Technology always gets in the wrong hands... Eg. The nuclear bombs in North Korea and Pakistan. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ciara Toppin

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm

When I read this article I was also shocked to learn that the changing of color is used for communication and not camouflage. My whole life I thought chameleons camouflaged and to learn this now is very interesting. I find the chameleon an interesting species because not only does it change color with its surroundings it also can accelerate and extend its tongue to remarkable lengths in order to retrieve food and survive. The chameleon has many survival instincts that help it to compete and survive in the environment that they live in, to me that is very interesting and unique.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 11:07 pm

wow this article was a good find interesting like Ciara said about the communication by camouflaging i remember watching this show about this guy that talked to animals and he was saying that the chameleons change color to show there emotion? haha i dunno how accurate he was but it was interesting to hear also speaking of these confusing creatures i read that larger chameleons have been known to eat small birds and other lizards!!! how crazy is that!?? i think for biology class we should have a study session about these creatures haha would be very interesting!
Back to top Go down
Danielle Kody

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 11:46 pm

Quote :

Maybe not let this sort of ability in the wrong hands, or maybe not let the ability be able to change into its surroundings? Maybe only a specific solors?

This is sort of iffy, too. Who would be the judge of who was "special" enough to get it? It sort of contorts the measurement of equality. While I understand there may be some positives, like less crime, I do not see how this ability would prevent something as large of an issue like wars. While we may be able to camouflage better, wouldn't the opposing team also have that ability after some time, too? It would be like an invisible war; that sounds even harder!

I'm also sort of wondering: how does the chameleon use this ability for communication? Because I was surprised when I read that, too, and now it's got me thinking... HOW? confused
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 11:54 pm

danielle brings about some got points war wold reach a whole new level of modern warfare it would be almost impossible but i don't think we are at that stage yet and also if we did have this i think technology would develop a device that would allow people to see the invisible. and haha yeah danielle its crazy isn't it i was reading an article and it said instead of vocalizing or using pheromones chameleons communicate visually by changing the colors and patterns of their skin. Different colors and patterns mean different things similar to how the colors of a traffic light direct drivers for example the brighter colors a male displays the more dominant he is. So male chameleons can attract a mate or defend their territory by flashing bright colors to each other to communicate submission or surrender a male will display drab browns and grays females also use a colorful version of signaling to communicate when they want to reject mates or are pregnant. afro
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 5:17 am

Quote :
This is sort of iffy, too. Who would be the judge of who was "special" enough to get it?
The government would likely be the one to decide who gets their hands on this technology. To ensure that it does not get used for the wrong purpose, maybe one would have to apply and send information about themselves so that the govt can have an indepth look on the person who desires to be camoflouged. Just a simple idea, and of course people could find ways around this by paying someone to apply for them, but it would stop the majority of potential misuses of this product, I think.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 5:27 am

yeah talyor has a good point there but like there are always those people that seem good have a good record and all but will still turn on others you know? so i think if the government was in control they would keep it amongst themselves like area 51 haha afro
Back to top Go down
Jennifer Bouyazbek

Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 3:24 pm

I AGREE WITH KESAR !!!! this is just insane and thank God we dont have the power and the ability to do something like that because people nowdays like to take advantage of everything and abuse the true reasons it was made for and use it for something like terrorism for example.
Im wondering too how the chameleons communicate so i couldnt help but research some info and heres what i got:

They use colour to communicate, the brighter the male this shows how dominant he is. If a female used bright colours she is trying to reject a female when she is pregnant !!! The Panther Chameleon from Madagascar shows colors when the male is under stress. Some Chameleons have other levels of communication such as; wanting a shower, hungry, wants to poop and others.

Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 7:53 pm

this goes to show you that animals are all unique in there own way and its nice to know how everything is different maybe if we understand things better we could use that knowledge for good i know there are those bad people there but if we put things to good use im sure we can prevent bad things from happening.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12   Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grabbing Dinner ... Pg. 12
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics :: Discover Magazine :: March 2011-
Jump to: