Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Restore memory?

Go down 
+6
markmandrusiak
Nichole Winczura
Rad.w
Amy Chu
Marvin N
Josh King Konu
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 11:43 pm

In the last decade, scientists have found that it takes active and unrelenting effort to keep our memories intact. Even long-term memories are constantly on the verge of being erased. To keep them stable, we need to continually recreate a protein called PKMzeta. This molecule is the engine of memory, constantly whirring to store information in our brains. Give the engine a boost, and old memories gain a new lease on life. Switch it off, and we forget things…. permanently.

When we learn new things, PKMzeta shows up at the gaps between neurons (synapses) and boosts the signals that go across them. This strengthens the connections between the neurons on either side, and this network of bolstered connections is the physical embodiment of our memories. “A synapse with PKMzeta is twice as strong as it otherwise would be,” says Todd Sacktor from SUNY Downstate Medical Center, who has led the way in uncovering the protein’s secrets.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2011/03/03/exposing-the-memory-engine-the-story-of-pkmzeta/

After i read this article i was excited because this could possibly help the Alzheimer desise from occurring i hope more research is done to develop this protein further this could be an epic milestone in the society we live in today!
Back to top Go down
Marvin N

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 8:51 pm

Wow that is actually a huge milestone because if you do think about how horrifying and saddening it is to think about some of our loved ones who are diagnosed with Alzheimers. Hopefully these researchers and doctors are successful in developing this drug and more importantly the government makes sure this product is available to all who need it because we usually see important drugs like this available but only a few of those who need it having the means to afford it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Amy Chu

Number of posts : 31

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:51 am

It is true that if our bodies are able to constantly create the protein ( PKMzeta) that's needed in order to keep our memories together, then we may be able to stop Alzheimer's disease from happening, but the thing is, the cause of Alzheimer's disease isn't just because we lack PKMzeta, it is also based on many other causes. Many researchers are saying amyloid is the cause of the disease, but it has not yet been confirmed, therefore, we can not really say PKMzeta is a cause of the disease but we can only suggest it is a cause. Alzheimer's disease mainly happens because of the neurons that die off early in Alzheimer's patients, and with PKMzeta, it is possible to create those lost neurons, so yes, I agree that it may help the disease, but we do not know that for sure yet.

What researchers should focus on is how can a normal person produce more of these PKMzeta, when the answer is found, I'm positive it will be a great help towards the disease, and from there, many other discoveries may also be uncovered. What's better is if scientists can create a pill that makes the body produce more of PKMzeta in the brain, unfortunately, this will not happen anytime soon, since the research of this protein has just begun.

Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 5:18 am

oh yeah for sure this would be amazing and amy yeah i get what your saying but for almost every diesise its more complicated then it seems so once we get all the facts we can celebrate fully haha but for now all we can do is hope right ?
Back to top Go down
Rad.w

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-09-08

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 5:57 pm

I think a lot of people take memories for granted. When i read this article all I could think of was how frustrating it is when you're trying to remember a name or a place during a test and you know it but you just can't get it. Then I think of just everyday situations when you truly don't remember what someone said or what you were suppose to do. To think that someone who suffers from that every day is truly sad. I can't imagine having everything I've ever known erased from my mind. I meen, that's how many years of education gone, memories of loved ones gone and not even knowing your own name. I'm so glad that research is beginning to find stepping stones towards the causes and hopefully soon the treatments for diseases that effect memory. This is a huge issue that effects many families and I hope that this research succeeds!
Back to top Go down
Nichole Winczura

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-03-03

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 8:19 pm

I think the discovery of this is great! Right now it's just in the beginning stages but who knows in the future the disease may not even exist! It would be horrifying to loose all our memories. Because this protein helps to maintain memory it could even benefit someone with out a disease. Even in day to day life if you could memorize things better it might mean less school time and less repetitive lessons as your brain would grasp them for longer.
Back to top Go down
markmandrusiak

markmandrusiak

Registration date : 2011-02-05

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:10 pm

i'm really happy that this is happening. it can really make some peoples lives better.
Back to top Go down
Rad.w

Registration date : 2009-09-08

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Quote :
Even in day to day life if you could memorize things better it might mean less school time and less repetitive lessons as your brain would grasp them for longer.

That would be amazing if that ever did happen! If you could absorb more information faster than imagine how much could be done in one school year. This may meen that students will be able to graduate earlier.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 3:34 am

that would be pretty amazing i know id be one of the people to take advantage of that haha anything to finish school faster!! i just hope they can make this happen without flaws or disasters happening and also without test subjects like the brain surgen article for "bad people"
Back to top Go down
Marvin N

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Yeah if succeeded, this pill could help a lot of people in the world both ones with diseases like alzheimers and those trying to prevent themselves and their loved ones from being exposed to it. My main concern is if the drug is their and available, the prices would be too high for the less able to have it and the big companies who produce it's main goal would be for their own personal profits rather than the well being of the those in need Mad
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 7:58 pm

but that's were moral obligations should be introduced like if company do do that then the people as a country should do something about it this would cause company to lower there prices and then everyone will profit the people in today's society have power its all up to the way they use it.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 7:59 pm

but that's were moral obligations should be introduced like if company do do that then the people as a country should do something about it this would cause company to lower there prices and then everyone will profit the people in today's society have power its all up to the way they use it.
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-02-13

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 9:26 pm

I think this would be an amazing find and discovery for man kind, like it would help soooooo many people retrieve memories they lost. As josh said the Alzheimers disease would be somewhat cured. But even people who start to forget things can retrace everything!
Back to top Go down
Alicia Szczepanski

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-09-27

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Medicine is absolutely amazing, doctors are constantly finding new ways to help cure different diseases. Curing Alzheimer is a hard struggle doctors are going through now, and i think that even with this new drug it will still be a long time to cure this disease. It affects many people and is so complex that I think one pill is not going to be enough. This could potentially be a significant jump in the right direction for curing this awful disease. But i think it will take a lot of work and research to find something to actually help and cure Alzheimers. I agree with many of the posts to this article about how amazing it would be to be able to retain so much more knowledge. I just think about how the first few years of everyone's life we don't really remember. And how childhood memories are sometimes hard to recall. Being able to get back all of those would be great. Those funny stories your parents tell you about what you did when you were young, you might actually be able to remember! Even when someone in your life passes and your memories of them become faded maybe this drug could help you make those memories more clear. good things could come from this drug.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 3:28 pm

medicine is amazing! but it seems like we are at a stump in our findings
a lot of people donate money to research but i personally haven't found and drastic treatments to cure any of them i just hope that technology will boom in the process of advancing so we can find a cure for certain sicknesses
Back to top Go down
Alicia Szczepanski

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-09-27

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 4:56 pm

I totally agree with you josh, it seems as though we are at a stump in our findings. But we have to realize that the body is so complex and there are so many different things going on at once. To pinpoint any type of disease or illness will take a long time. I don't think that people realize that it is not quick and easy trying to find cures for things. I know its frustrating when you donate a bunch of money to research and you are not seeing immediate results. We have to be patient and know that eventually there will be findings that will better peoples lives and continue the advancement of medicine. I think that slowly because of technology there will be more and more discoveries and hopefully these will lead to cures.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 1:29 am

yeah i agree patience is the key!
i just see it as messed up the rate at which we are improving the medicine department of technology like stop with the new ipods and focus on that even if its for a small period of time!
Back to top Go down
AnthonyMattia

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:30 pm

Wanas Radwan wrote:
I think a lot of people take memories for granted. When i read this article all I could think of was how frustrating it is when you're trying to remember a name or a place during a test and you know it but you just can't get it. Then I think of just everyday situations when you truly don't remember what someone said or what you were suppose to do. To think that someone who suffers from that every day is truly sad.

I agree with you completely Wanas! The thought of someone not being able to remember simple things about their own life is truly sad. We definitely take our strong ability to memorize and recall things for granted.

My grandfather had Alzheimers for the last 10 or so years of his life, so I know what its like to be with someone fighting the disease. I was quite young when he first started showing symptoms, so most of my memories with him are from when he had already forgotten almost everything. Seeing him every week was sad knowing that he used to be the 'life of the party' at all of our family functions. Knowing that scientists are making strides towards the cure is awesome to hear. No one should have to watch a family member forget who they are ! Even if the disease is not completely cured, it'd be great if scientists could find ways to significantly reduce its advancement in patients Smile
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:12 pm

it is hard to have experienced something like that especially if the person doesnt remember you!
i remember seeing this poster and it said * my husband bought milk today...............................5 times!
Back to top Go down
Ciara Toppin

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:48 pm

I think that this article was interesting because if Alzheimer’s disease could be stopped by this memory protein it will benefit a lot of individuals and cause this disease to be overcome throughout society.
Back to top Go down
Marvin N

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 9:31 pm

that truly is saddening to experience first-hand and i know patience is the key but i still think that governments around the world especially in more technologically advanced regions can do more to cure this and many other horrifying diseases. When you think about the amount of money that we spend on wars that do not necessarily affect us compared to what we contribute to researches and studies aiming to find cures, it is truly dumbfounding. I hope in the future the governements could come to some sorts of agreements and end the wars allowing to put our money where it is really needed. But then again...let's be realistic No
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 12:14 am

yeah i agree with you Marvin but you have to realize as humans we will always want to be dominant in the world therefore wars is always gonna be in the scenario what we have to learn how to do is focus were not focusing on the necessities in life in today's society!
king
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Restore memory? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restore memory?   Restore memory? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Restore memory?
Page 1 of 1