Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”

Go down 
+4
Josh King Konu
Simrit Birdi
Loteyk
Jennifer Bouyazbek
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jennifer Bouyazbek

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-02-08

Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Empty
PostSubject: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 4:10 pm

I found this article really interesting because it talkes about some drugs that may affect the rate of a students overall speed and ability in efficient studying and learning. Cog-enhancers are an easy way out for those in school. Struggling to study builds character and good habits. Cog-enhancers let you focus on one task very intensely. Cog-enhancers like Ritalin and Adderall work by making bright areas much brighter while causing dim areas to go very dark. The result is one is able to focus on whatever task is at hand. But basic stimulants, like caffeine and the stuff found in energy drinks, cause the whole brain to get brighter. That is why you feel energized but unfocused after one too many cups of coffee.

BUT BEFORE EVERYONE GETS THE WRONG IDEA, If you take Ritalin and then plays Call of Duty for hours, they won’t do any better in class!!!
AND no matter how many pills you take, you aren’t going to know the facts and ideas necessary to write your paper or pass a test. So what im trying to get at is that they only give you the extra push to keep you awake in a boring class like PHYSICS Razz
Back to top Go down
Loteyk

Loteyk

Registration date : 2011-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Drugs have side effects... possibly dangerous! I dont think its fair though. To succeed in life, one must work hard... not take drugs!
Yes ive heeard of ppl taking ADD medication in order to study for like med school exams and stuff but sooner or later, will a stressed out grade 2 child start doing drugs? yeah thats preetty messed...

does the grade 2 kid need that extra "push" to help study fractions? Its not cheating to you right? i think it is.

yes some ppl are more talented and yes some are slower. Drugs shouldnt be an answer for that. Ppl should push themselvess HARD to get further. Success is the result of will power and effort.

Basketball (KOBEE) ----- works hard to be successful! No drugs to help him focus

By the way, what page is this on?
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 4:32 pm

First of all, i do agree with jungle clan member #2 "Kesar" in which this would be a form of cheating!
Like when bodybuilders take steroids before a competition... wouldn't that be cheating? ... Or is it smart, to take some sort of drug that enhances their ability?

I believe it's completely cheating!

If this ever were to get to schools and kids started taking it to do better in school, the givernment would have to have drug tests done ... in school!! Before diplomas kids gotta pee in a cup to take theior test? THATS SCREWED UP!

And bby the way Kesar, how do you really know Kobe isn't using some sort of enhancement drug? tongue afro
Back to top Go down
Loteyk

Loteyk

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Yeah its completely cheating! no doubt about it.

It would be a pretty dirty move though to take the drugs in order to study. Is it legal? Should it be not?

i think so!

some people think school is too hard and that drugs need to be taken. Bull. if one prioritizes, anything is possible.
Family first, school second and then friends and sports and work

obvs if you go hang with your friends for a few hours and then work the day before the test... and then study for an hour and try to cram while your already tired? doesnt always work...

Drugs is just brutal. unless its prescribed to you albino
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 4:53 pm

TRUE THAT!!!

Indian Mentality right there!!!
Except some poeple even go to say Education FIRST. then every thing else.

It should be illegal for sure, because if thats legal why can't anabolic steroids be ?
Same concept ...

cheers
not to out a cliche in here but it fits:
Anyone could do anything if they just put their mind to it.
Hard work feels ways better in the end result instead of knoing you cheated..
Back to top Go down
Jennifer Bouyazbek

Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 5:16 pm

Your soo right guys ! If everybody thought like you two we would have many junior Einsteins and newtons in our time period.. unlucky for us ahahah ! Razz
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 7:09 pm

THANKS JENNIFER!
lol you basically called us a junior Einstein!

But its so true. It's cheating no argument about that there...
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 7:35 pm

yeah i agree with simrit this should be illigal because it gives some students a large advantage over others hopefully they can do something like this without enhancing specific body structures! afro
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 9:21 pm

How would they?

Why can't people stop being lazy and actually study instead of looking for things easier?
There should never do something like this EVER.. It will end up like the movie Wall-E where people will never do anything when they can just let something else do it for them...

It will end up with disaster
Back to top Go down
Amy Chu

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 2:05 am

The idea of these cognitive enhancers is actually a good thing, there are many people who struggle to concentrate on their studies, and many drink coffee just to stay awake and finish what they have to do. I agree that good marks in school cannot be relied on this enhancer but through hard work, but if someone really can't handle their sleepiness or stress, taking this enhancer would actually help them.

Also, if using this enhancer will enable better and more efficient studying and learning, then why not take this enhancer once per month? obviously, consuming too much of this drug may also lead to side effects, so those taking it must also watch the amount they are using. So basically, a cognitive enhancer is a substance that can enhance mental functions which include concentration and memory ( keeping what you learn in your head longer), since there hasn't been reports of any negative effects on this enhancer, people can try to use it and see how it goes for them, perhaps taking this enhancer will be better than drinking coffee everyday. In my opinion, I don't see what's so bad about it.

Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 2:59 pm

I agree with Amy if you really think about all those nights you stayed up drinking coffee trying to focus on your physics work you would probably be praying for something like this now im not saying we should use if just because but some people are stressed with there courses and just want to succeed in life although this is kind of a bizarre kind of idea like steroids they should use this idea and change it a bit so it wont be as strong or maybe just have it prescribed to those people who are stressed to the MAXX afro
Back to top Go down
AnthonyMattia

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:05 pm

I definitely don't think that the use of these cognitive enhancers can be considered cheating. They are not directly making you smarter, but instead opening the gates to allow you to reach your full potential. If people feel the need to take such supplements it should be their prerogative.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, not all 'enhancing' drugs should be tolerated. For example, bodybuilders who take steroids should obviously not be allowed as these drugs enhance the individual, DIRECTLY making them stronger. Opposed to cognitive enhancers which indirectly benefit you Smile
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:09 pm

anthony brings up some good points but if you think about it steroids doesnt neccasarily make u bigger it opens the gate to get you bigger faster its not like u take steroids and sit on the couch and you build muscle
Back to top Go down
Ciara Toppin

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:45 pm

I find this article interesting yet harmful. I think that it is useful that these drugs help you focus on one task at hand, but people may get the wrong idea and abuse the drugs. Some individuals may start taking Ritalin or adderall too much that is harmful to the body because they want to focus. Drugs like Ritalin are used for ADD patients and help them to control themselves, if a healthy minded individual took these pills regularly when they do not medically need them to live a better life, then I don’t think that it would be right.
Back to top Go down
Loteyk

Loteyk

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 10:57 pm

i dont agree with amy at all
its a drug... over-use is like the easiest thing to do esp if it works! once a month is a joke. Laughing

id rather be drinking coffee than taking drugs. and alot of ppl cant concentrate for many reasons... maybe its not quiet, maybe not bright enough, maybe the room isnt the right place..

excuse after exccuse! some people need to buckle down and study.

if u have a condition like ADD, then take meds. but if this is allowed... alot of kids without ADD will take it
Back to top Go down
Ashley Bacchus

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”    Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 10:37 pm

Hmm, everyone has some pretty valid points. I think I’m leaning more toward the “it’s cheating” side though. Because while it might be good to have something that can help you focus better I don’t think that drugs are the way to go. It’s really easy to abuse drugs, once you start taking it and especially if you see that it’s successful, you’ll probably end up taking it more often, and you’ll stop putting in the effort to concentrate when you know that this drug can do it for you. No drug is perfect so there are also the side affects to worry about. Even if there haven’t been reports of negative side effects, I’m sure that if these cognitive enhancers were to become normal for students to use that negative side effects would eventually be seen in some people. And I know that the drugs don’t necessarily make you smarter and that some people have do difficulty concentrating. But really is it fair that you get to use drugs to help you study while other students study their butts off to get the same results? I don’t think so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”   Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating” Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cognitive Enhancers are Not “Cheating”
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics :: Discover Magazine :: March 2011-
Jump to: