Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15

Go down 
+5
markmandrusiak
Rad.w
Taylor Lashyn
Johanna Meier
Simrit Birdi
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-02-13

Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Empty
PostSubject: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 3:25 pm

SO when i saw the title first thing that popped into my head was obviously : Harry Potter. LOL

But seriously, Physicist in England ,named Shuang Zhang, and his colleagues hid a paper clip! Until recently our physicists on earth could only operate "Invisibility Cloaks" under a microscopic level hiding stuff too small to see with the naked eye. This year people have hid things such as paper, paper clips small objects. How they do it is they use a crystal called Calcite, an optical property of Calcite called Anisotropy which splits up light rays and reflects them in such a way that it renders the chamber invisible. Except the catch is that it depends on the light waves oscillating in the same direction. But Zhang believers that one day the technology might eventually be able to hide humans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heres a picture of a crystal Invisibility Cloak hides a part of a rolled up piece of pink paper.

Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 NOW_YOU_SEE_%E2%80%98EM
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 3:29 pm

It's amazing how a thing from a book/movie like Harry Potter, where when you watched it the first time thought "I wish I had an invisibility cloak, but probably never could exist".... CAN EXIST. I think this is one of the most interesting article's I have ever read. I don't know many reasons for using this technology, except for like army/navy uses. Where if they ever needed to sneak up on someone, they could. And never could be caught. :p

I still think it's amazing how We can make things invisible to the naked eye. Very Happy What a Face
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 1:18 pm

That is actually amazing! It's funny how we are learning about this in class with polariod filters in a way. It almost works the same. The polariod filters if you put 2 different ones in front of each other that have perpendicular openings, it will make it black because no light is getting through. Here, light rays are just being directed to different positions to make an object seem as if it isn't there, but here it remains clear.
I find this development absolutely amazing! And I agree, watching harry potter always made me want an invisibilty cloak too, even if it was just for the convienience of sneaking out of my house. I do believe too that if this was developed to cover more larger objects, the military that got there hands on this would have the upper hand to an extreme extent.
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 2:51 pm

Exactly! HArry Potter all the way! lol

But yeah when we see new inventions liek this, we think military use right away. I guess it's just human nature.

But what are other examples of uses that aren't so violent and inhuman??
That's what i wanna ask.
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 9:56 am

Honestly when you think about it, it is hard to think of something. Besides the military all I can think of is wow, what a good invention to sneak out of the house or like into a concert or something. You'd never have to buy a ticket!
But I guess the only thing I could think of is possibly surprises. Surprise birthdays, gifts, treats, etc. You can hide it easier.
This technology though is really only highly beneficial for the military. There really is not anything in a normal person's day to day life for this can be considered a need rather then a want.
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 11:32 am

Exactly!!!!!!

Even if we used it for such things as surprise birthday parties, or sneakign out of the house. Someitme after using such technology people would start to clue in, and then the uses for the cloak aren't really.. usefuil.. lol

But I guess beat idea is for the military to use such technology.
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Yeah, there really isn't anything else to use it for or I cannot think of anythign else that could develop that these would become useful for. The main use would be military or things related to military - such as spies or hiding equipment to look disarmed. There really isn't much else that it is useful for.
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

Number of posts : 82

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 2:59 am

Domestic and military use seems like the only practical use for this type of invention. In most occupations, the use of an invisibilty cloak would be impractical and likely not allowed. Unless one is trying to hide from their boss or hide from co workers, which still seems impractical.
This idea excites me however, and i look forward to see whether or not this continues to grow into something where humans can use it for themselves
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 9:28 am

Me too! I hope that this develops in our life time because it would be something amazing to see. And the only other use I could think of would be for the harry potter theme parks.
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 12:23 am

Agreed. To see one dissapear in front of my eyes would be amazing to see. And i think that we will see something like this within our lifetime. Considering how fast we advance, and also that we are already doing research on this, i strongly believe that within our lifetime, we will see some sort of variation - if not full invisibilty - of this invisibility cloak
Back to top Go down
Rad.w

Registration date : 2009-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 10:52 pm

I agree with you Johanna! I don't really think there is any practical use of an 'invisibility device' but i think that this is just a stepping stone for something else. Usually when new discoveries are made, the first actual design is kind of useless, until it's put into application. Like an electromagnet like the ones we made for our projects dont really do much on their own, but as a component of a larger application, they are priceless. Also, I can see them using this for security. Like if there's an expensive painting or artifact that they need to hide they can make it invisible, and then even if there was a break in it would still kind of be protected. But thats a far fetched idea, i really don't know what they could be using it for.
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 2:17 am

Making something invisible to hide it makes sense. I could fully see why one would want to do that. Or even self defense for one who is in danger. An invisibilty cloak for these situations would prove handy.
Back to top Go down
markmandrusiak

markmandrusiak

Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 12:54 am

How far are we really from invisibility? We already have planes that are invisible on radar. Also, I can't wait for the next Harry Potter movie Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 2:04 pm

The thign about the invisibilty cloak though is that it iself could be dangerous, never knowing when someone is approaching you or how crimes happened if it got into the wrong hands. Like if a mass murdered got his hands on it, there would never be any witnesses because they wouldn't be visible.
Back to top Go down
Loteyk

Loteyk

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 5:51 pm

i <3 Harry Potter!

this is one of those amazing things everyone wants, but if it gets in the wrong hands! WATCH OUT! Imagine if the person you cant stand wants to sneak up on you and do something to you, or your unknown stalker does something dirty to you! ITs like anything amazing though, great to have in your hands but not the enemy's hands!

If i had that cloak id use it to do illegal stuff, who wouldnt if you had the power? Twisted Evil

Cant wait for this technology to be even more advanced!
Back to top Go down
AnthonyMattia

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 5:25 pm

Wow, that's crazy! I love the harry potter movies, so this was very interesting to read lol.

As mentioned before, I don't think that this would have much of a practical use in today's society, however it would be a very neat thing to witness. With everything we learnt during the EMR unit, it does make sense that there are particular ways to bend light around objects, making it appear that they are not there. With the right lenses, etc, im sure this will be effective on a larger scale. I'd definitely want one if they were created... Smile
Back to top Go down
Jennifer Bouyazbek

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Myself personally will not anticipate the cbreation of this on a bigger scale, maybe I will be excited to witness one, but to own one would not be the greatest idea. First off, if me, a normal human being, can buy one of those new technology, anybody can... NOT A GOOD THING !! Think of all the terrorism thats happening, if Osama Bin Laden is still alive I bet he would be the first one to get his hands on this and make himself inivisble. We gotta think of the WHAT IFS and the negatives before we say this is a cool thing to own or have.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AnthonyMattia

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:26 am

Yeah that is very true Jennifer ! The negative impacts of an invention like this could be disastrous - and considering how many crimes and acts of terrorism occur in the world today, we definitely don't need anything contributing to it! I'm sure if something like this was perfected, that the government would not regulate it to be sold for commercial use.... hopefully Smile
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:30 am

Good point. This getting into the wrong hands would make crime too easy. Imagine seeing nothing but a hand and a gun from mid air pointed at your face. There would be no way of knowing who the criminal was and they would get away with crime at way higher rates than they would without this kind of technology. Military use seems practical at this point. Unless something were to be developed in order to counter act the cloaks ability, then this could indeed be very dangerous
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 4:34 am

yes this could be dangerous but like honestly i think they analyzed the negitive consequences
aqnd since they got more positive they willl continue to make it.
king
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15   Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Invisibility Cloaks Hit The Big Time pg.15
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics :: Discover Magazine :: May 2011-
Jump to: