Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Simrit Birdi

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Tue May 03, 2011 4:05 pm

A 51 year old chef named Nathan Myhrvold uses science to cook!!!!!
He published a 6 volume book that was 2,400 page, 40 POUND book called Modernist Cuisine that attempts to catalog every science principle known to cooking! He and his 50 chefs, writers, photographers spent 5 years conducting detailed tests, many of them involving liquid nitrogen, rotary evaporators, centrifuges, and other industrial paraphernalia (whatever that is). He calls ghis culinary art, Molecular Gastronomy, and he brought plenty of his own scientific insight to the project. HE isn't just a chef, he also has a Ph.D. in theoretical and mathematical physics.

An example of one of his " FRANKENCHEF" inventions is how to cook a turkey better for thanksgiving!
He says the best way is a drier bird cooks faster, so start by using a rack so the turkey isn't soaking in it's own juices. and baste the bird with oil. This reduces the water evaporation, raises surface temperature of the meat, and consequently speeds up cooking!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johanna Meier

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Wed May 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Well when you think about it, cooking is alot like science, especially chemistry. Such as soups or liquids involving powders, you are mixing things together to get a new appealing smell (esters) or taste. Cooking is science, so I'm not surprised that a scientist would have the ability to right so much about cooking when they indirectly study it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Wed May 04, 2011 3:01 pm

True True.
Just some of the pictures that were in the magazine was preetty cool.
Like another example was that to keep the flavor of an onion, He "smokes" it.
So just puts it above something smoking. and it cooks that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tyler brown

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Wed May 04, 2011 4:02 pm

i agree that cooking is like a science. you need to know what goes well with other things. certain agredients may be more compatable with others at a molecular level. also for food to be at a healthy temperature, you need to be able to figure that out. this is where science comes in. think of the astronauts eating freeze dried food. they would not be able to survive if science did not figure this out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Wed May 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Such a great example Tyler!
Astronauts can only eat because of scientific ways of finding HOW!
I believe one day through science there won't ever be expiry dates on food anymore, maybe one day we could preserve food so it could never go bad!
That could help out so much around the world, no food would be watsed Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Wed May 04, 2011 5:26 pm

HAHA MANN THATS PRETTY SWEET THINK ABOUT
COOKING RICE BY USING EXOTHERMIC ENERGY FROM A REACTION!

WAIT DONT WE ALREADY DO THIS?
I THINK WE COOK WITH SCIENCE WITHOUT EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT FOR INSTANCE
THOSE MILITARY FOOD PACKAGES YOU ADD A BIT OF WATER TO THE FOOD AND IT HEATS UP DUE TO A CHEMICAL REACTION IMA RESERCH THE DIFFERENT EXAMPLES AND GET BACK TO YOU
king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Wed May 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Yeah he has so many in that 40 pound book, just go to likea local library and try to pick it up!
lol

There are some crazy ones though.

Like instead of cooking a chiken all at once, you cook the skin a certain way and then cook the meat differently.
Then use edible "glue" to paste it all back on and it looks like it never came off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tyler brown

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Wed May 04, 2011 7:33 pm

what thats messed up. edible glue thats crazy. and im sure all these methods taste pretty good too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johanna Meier

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Thu May 05, 2011 9:59 am

See science like cooking - it's all about experimenting. In science, you experiment to find the right compound to benefit the world. Such as new ways to electroplate, etc.
With cooking you have to experiment to to find out new healthy ways and tasteful ways. The food drunken chicken probably wasn't thought of in one day, someone probably just had the thought to put a beer in a chicken then had to test it lots to get the right amount and flavour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Thu May 05, 2011 11:41 am

True that!

I wonder if places in africa or third world countries use certain aspects of science to cook food?
And if they do which ones..

Cause they don't have certain things like stoves and micrwaves.
And they must be far from hjust cooking over a fire.
Must be some way they thought f thats faster and more reliable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tyler brown

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Thu May 05, 2011 3:25 pm

no im pretty sure alot of them use fires. or maybe bbq or something like a hot plate. or they just eat rice all the time tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Thu May 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Oh! haha.

I do wonder if there are other ways of coo9king that some people in the world use, but no one knows about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amy Chu

Number of posts : 31

PostSubject: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Sat May 07, 2011 9:02 pm

I agree that cooking is like science! especially chemistry! like chemical reactions, in order for a reaction to happen, there must be reactants, with reactants there will always be a product, like cooking, every time you mix things together, your product will never be the same, that's why there will always be a new product, and it may be worst or better then your last product, depending on the amount of stuff you used and how you cooked your food, perhaps something went wrong in the process of producing your final product, resulting in a bad dish. If you think about it every time you cook there's always a change , like from a solid - liquid or something, for example when you add salt to a hot pot or something it will eventually melt, its still inside the pot but you don't see it, but you can still taste it, and that's chemistry.

Also, I think math is related to cooking, since recipes usually have a specific amount of how much something should be put into whatever . Do the measuring wrong and your cooking can also go wrong. Some people also cook and put the amount of ingredients into a pot/pan according to what they think is the correct amount, and that's okay too, even though they don't follow any specific amount, their product can still be good. I'm sure if people had a good understanding of chemistry and math then it will for sure improve their cooking, but there are also people out there who don't know much about chemistry, yet they can still cook very good food. In my opinion, cooking is chemistry and math all together.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rad.w

Registration date : 2009-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Wed May 11, 2011 1:14 am

Quote :
In my opinion, cooking is chemistry and math all together.

I agree! i think that whatever you do in life, you use science. Even when you're not thining about it. eg: talking on this discussion board is a work of science, yet I think we often take things for granted as being what they are, instead of looking at where they came from and how they really do work. Cooking for example, is much more efficient because of technology, obviously relted to science, and the actual chemical process of cooking itself is important to understand. Some of the greatest recipes require extremely important detail to the amount of ingredients placed and how long they are cooked for. This is not our of prefrence but out of the chemical changes that need to take place within the recatants in the substance. It's definately not surprising that this book focussed on the science aspect of cooking. The more you understand about what you're doing the better you'll be at it, especially cooking!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taylor Lashyn

Number of posts : 82

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Wed May 11, 2011 2:40 am

I agree with the statement that science surrounds us whether we are aware of its presence or not. With regards to cooking, chemistry will obviously have a large role in cooking seeing as all of the food is made up of simple and complex chemical compounds itself. One can clearly see the correlation here i hope... And simple math is handy when trying to make that perfect dish; good point

Also, a Ph.D and a chef is impressive. I think how he used his knowledge in two fields which, by description, seem totally irrelavent is fascinating
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tyler brown

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Wed May 11, 2011 3:18 pm

ya but without his knowledge of both fields he may not have been able to figure these things out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taylor Lashyn

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Fri May 13, 2011 12:26 am

That is what i said. The knowledge of each field is highly unrelated and deals with completely different information and learning. The fact that he was able to correlate these two interdependant branches is admirable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rad.w

Registration date : 2009-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Fri May 13, 2011 11:05 pm

This kind of makes you think that as science becomes more precise, our everyday applications of tools in life will also become more efficient. I know that a lot of emphasis is put on big things like flying cars and what not when the future is mentiones, but what about the small things? For example, how will cooking be impacted? Will we still be using stoves and microwaves? Will heating food even be necessary, at least in the tems we view it as? It's exciting yet scary to think of how much the world and how people go about there daily lives will drastically change as science progresses. This chef proves that science is apart of our life in a huge way, and therefore we can't say that 'science is progressing' but everything connected to science, including ourselves will change and progress as a result of this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tyler brown

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Sun May 15, 2011 10:58 pm

i agree with wanas in that we will evolve more once science develops more. but its not like we are just starting to evolve and learn more. we have been doing it since humans first arrived. like cavemen making spears and basic tools. we have been constantly evolving and changing and adapting to our world and using it to our advantage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taylor Lashyn

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Mon May 16, 2011 2:24 am

Science is a vital part of our everyday life, even though most do not realize or appreciate this fact. Everything from cell phones and computers to the vehicles we drive or even kitchen appliances all derive from some type of science. Most will not stop to think and actually appreciate what our scientists discover and all those who helped advance this world, but without them and this advancement, our lives would be very different and, from my stand point, largely less exciting and fufilling. I guess we wouldnt know what we were missing out on any way though.. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
markmandrusiak

Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Wed May 18, 2011 12:59 am

Baking is really just chemistry you can eat. Maybe people should consider science more in their every days lives. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jennifer Bouyazbek

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Thu May 19, 2011 6:44 pm

From a math perspective there are great for mathematical concepts like weight, volume and division starting from purchasing of ingredients- costs of different things.

Scientific concepts:The change that heat brings about to raw ingredients. How different ways of cooking can give a different end product with the same ingredient. Textures, odours, sizes, shapes- there’s a whole world of things to be learned and taught.

Temperature- ice- water – steam- pressure can be learnt and used !
As well as weight colour texture shapes, vitmains- calories
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AnthonyMattia

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Fri May 20, 2011 1:21 am

Well science definitely has a LOT to do with cooking - especially chemistry as it has been stated. However that's the last thing I think about when I'm cooking (or attempting to cook at least lol ) I'm more concerned with not burning down my house in the process
Laughing

Although this article is very interesting, and quite neat to hear that someone considers these hings while cooking , i don't think many average people throughout the world would take the science of cooking much into consideration while preparing a meal!

I do find it funny that this guy has a PhD and is a chef though Shocked lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   Sun May 22, 2011 4:39 am

people have beeen using science to cook for the longest tine just
no one cared to even notice, this guy just tooked it to a more reconized state.
king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56   

Back to top Go down

Add A Pinch of Science Pg. 56
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics :: Discover Magazine :: May 2011-
Jump to: