Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Your Brain On Music (PG.13)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Annabel.Pou

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Tue May 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Research at the Montreal Neurological Institute have proven that listening to a great song can be as satisfying as eating food or having sex. Test subjects listened to their favourite songs while in a PET scanner to measure dopamine and a fMRI scanner which measures brain activity. They found that you actually experience dopamine rush first in the frontal striatum which is associate with anticipating rewards then the rear striatum which is associated with pleasure. This cycle of craving and fulfillment is why people can listen to the same song over and over again. Not all music is the same however; this is why some songs are long lasting classics while others are a total bust. The key to good music seems to be to have a seemingly complex melody that is actually based on simple repeating patterns.

I guess this explains how I have been listening to the same song for 3 days. My question is, how do people develop different tastes in music? Honestly there are some songs out there that make me want to kill myself when I hear it, but other people actually enjoy the horrendous excuse of a song.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simrit Birdi

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Wed May 04, 2011 12:47 pm

Song makes you wanna kill yourself : FRIDAY.... lol

This is really interesting that listening to music can satisfy those certain urges people get.

Does it depend on the music that people like?
Or
Is it a certain type of music that can satisfy?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johanna Meier

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Wed May 04, 2011 1:24 pm

I agree that listening to a graet song can be satisfying - some of them just make you want to dance, move, yell it out. Things that make a person happy.
And with regards to the craving of a song, I believe that is what it means when you get a song stuck in your head. I know for myself, when I get one of my favourites repeating itself, I must listen to the actual song before I can get it to go away.
For developing diffeerent tastes in music - I believe it's the same as simply developign different taste preferences in food. Soem people enjoy things that others don't. It is all about personal preference that develops in us when we are young.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Wed May 04, 2011 3:04 pm

I agree with Johanna, that when were younger, and we hear new sounds, sounds we like, sounds we don';t like. Our brain remembers those sounds, and if it happens to be in a song, wouldn't that be a factor for what song makes you more hapier than others.

FOr example, songs by bob marley doesn't want you to go and kill yourself, mostly wants you to relax.
But songs by artists like "Disturbed", make you wanna scream and Rock out as hard as you can and not relax.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Wed May 04, 2011 5:29 pm

I HEARD SOMETHING ALONG THE LINE OF THIS!
I WAS WATCHING 1000 WAYS TO DIE THE OTHER DAY AND I CAME ACROSS A STORY ABOUT
THESE TWO GUYS IN JAPAN WHO JUMPED OUT OF THERE APARTMANT BUILDING WINDOW
AFTER THE INVESTIGATION WAS CONCLUDED THEY FOUND OUT THAT THE REASON WHY THETY JUMPED OUT WAS BECAUSE OF A SUDDEN URGE FEELING LIKE A NATURAL HIGH IT HAD CAUSED THEMS TO BE UNABLE TO THINK RATIONALLY AND RESULTED IN THERE DEATH! ALL BECAUSE OF THE DEATH METAL MUSIC THEY WERE LISTENING TOO!
CRAAZYYY!!
king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johanna Meier

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Thu May 05, 2011 10:01 am

Exactly! It's all about the beat and rhythem. Bad experiences can be a factor too. Like with food, if you got food poisoning or sick off one type of food, you may never want to eat or even smell it again. With music and sounds, if you relate a bad experience, person, or situation with that song - you may shut it off whenever it comes on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Thu May 05, 2011 11:38 am

Exactly!

Well I don't about like love songs?
When a certain song comes on when you used be with some one and you guys thought it was "your" song when it came on the radio you guys would be alol happy, but right when you guys break up.... the song becomes sad not so happy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johanna Meier

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Tue May 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Exactly. Or even songs you hear over an over again. If you eat a certain favourite food for days at a time straight, you will get sick of it. Same with a favourite song. If you continuously have it on replay for days at end, you will get tired of it very soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taylor Lashyn

Number of posts : 82

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Wed May 11, 2011 2:55 am

Your brain likely gets used of the repeated patterns and ceases to release dopamine so that the song is no long appealing and doesnt make you "happy". I highly agree with with the results of this research project in saying that music is as satisfying as eating food or sex. I love my music and when I do feel sad or stressed i find that music is the best way to help me and make me happy again, rather than the other options... Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amy Chu

Number of posts : 31

PostSubject: Your Brain On Music (PG. 13)   Fri May 13, 2011 3:43 pm

In my opinion, music is the art or science of combining vocal or instrumental sounds to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion. Music has different meanings for different people and it also can be unique in each person's life. To some people music is their life. Everyday, we listen to our favorite songs && dance our ass off. Even at parties or events, we hear music everywhere !!! As we continue to live our everyday lives, everything around us motivates us and gives us inspiration to either write songs or when we listen to them. Most songs has a connection in the lyrics or the sound that connects ourselves in our lives. Razz Sometimes when we listen to a song, we may ask ourselves. . .does it relate to my situations ? my LIFEE ? Is this the person i am ? and so on. Who knows. . .ONLY you can answer them yourselves ! Wink && there's lots of music all over the world ! some of the different styles of music can be hip hop, pop, K- POP, R&B, ROCK, country, heavy metal, ETC . . . cheers MUSIC MAAKES PEOPLE HAPPY ! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taylor Lashyn

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Mon May 16, 2011 2:14 am

To add onto the thought Amy presented, I find that certain songs correlate with certain times in my life.
When i hear a certain song it, it can sometimes bring me back to times in my youth and i can just sit there listening to the song while so many memories come back. Songs definitely have emotion or bring out the emotion within us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
markmandrusiak

Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm

This makes sense. People always say that baby's are effected by music more then people, maybe they get way more out of music then we do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loteyk

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Wed May 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Yes! Friday is the worst song ever!
This is so interesting! i loved learning about the brain and different neurons and how they send information in bio 30! This is probably my favouritest article ive ever read!

And Taylor makes an excellent point about how different music correlates to different parts of my life. Like when i was a baby, i loved the barney song and now i love rap! I love the fact that songs bring back memories too! They did some experiment on an open brain and electrecuted different parts of the brain and it brought back memories. amazing!

i love getting high... on music bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jennifer Bouyazbek

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Thu May 19, 2011 6:39 pm

This is actually very true! especially nowadays in our teen years we tend to enjoy music more. It also has been proven scientifically that music can heal the brain !! . It has been proven that music influences humans both in good and bad ways. These effects are instant and long lasting. Music is thought to link all of the emotional, spiritual, and physical elements of the universe. Music can also be used to change a person's mood, and has been found to cause like physical responses in many people simultaneously. Music also has the ability to strengthen or weaken emotions from a particular event such as a funeral.

Look how cool this is :
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taylor Lashyn

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Fri May 20, 2011 1:41 am

Music can definitely strengthen one physically; I agree very much with this statement. An easy example of this would be for one who is working out with music. I find when I workout, if I have music in, it helps me lift more or run further distances. Perhaps it distracts us when running or it excites us when lifting weights thus pumping more blood to our musceles
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   Sun May 22, 2011 4:32 am

yeah taylor i find that too like if im lifting heavy weight i tend to put on more bumping tunes
i think the music causes u to focus and cancel out everything around you.
king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Brain On Music (PG.13)   

Back to top Go down

Your Brain On Music (PG.13)
Page 1 of 1