Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loteyk

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-02-16

PostSubject: What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14   Wed May 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Sorry i couldnt find the May issue at the libraries i was looking but found the june and decided we can get a head start on it because we wont have the full month to do it during June

Modern solar panel is woefully inefficient. At its best it converts about 24 percent of sunlight into electricity. Mother nature can do much better than this.
There are three examples of how bugs teach us about solar power but im only going to show one:

Swallowtail Butterfly wings - They virtually reflect no sunlight. Engineers want it because it can improve sunlight absorption and its easy to apply the feature to solar cells.

We may hate bugs at times, but it looks like their doing alot to help us improve technology!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simrit Birdi

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Re: What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14   Wed May 18, 2011 6:17 pm

omg! a butterfly that can absorb sunlight! What will mother nature create next??

I read about a similar concept where A chemical engineer, Orlin Velev, is trying to use leaves natural pigments that help them harvest the sun's rays, to generate clean new electricity!!!!
His non-toxic photovoltaic device that will be doing this consists of light-sensitive molecules (chlorophyll) embedded in a water based gel sandwiched between copper and plastic electrodes.

Solar cells we use today contain many toxic elements, unlike these Velev's device can release safe non toxic chemicals into the enviroment! ALSO the cell's flexibility results in it being an ideal source for covvering many irregular surfaces.

It was really amazing how they could use such a major detail in mother nature that is usually used for photosynthesis, and cellular respiration can be used to create ELECTRICITY!!!!
so fascinating!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taylor Lashyn

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: Re: What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14   Thu May 19, 2011 2:05 am

If scientists were able to incoorperate this efficient way in which butterflies absorb the sunlight into something like a solar panel, imagine how useful this could be and how much this could change our situation with the battle to maintain resources! I wonder how long it will take until we are able to harness such a technology into modern day living, such as using it for solar panels to provide energy for our houses and to even run our cars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AnthonyMattia

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14   Thu May 19, 2011 5:18 pm

Nature is definitely better at using what they have compared to humans. I think its a great idea for scientists to look more to nature for improvements which we can make to our lives. Lots of valuable knowledge and scientific advancements are probably right in front of us, waiting to be more closely examined. If we somehow harness the abilities of some of nature's most innovative creatures, we will be living much more efficient lives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jennifer Bouyazbek

Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14   Thu May 19, 2011 6:24 pm

Yes we all underestimate the power of nature, but really After I saw this, Im really fascinated. The little details and the mystery behind this alone is fascinating enough. I hope in the near future this will be taken advntage of on a huge scale to save the planet enviromentaly speaking and economically speaking as well. This would also make great research topic for my biology or physics courses in university !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
markmandrusiak

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-02-05

PostSubject: Re: What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14   Fri May 20, 2011 12:00 am

Once again nature trumps modern technology. Incredible. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loteyk

Registration date : 2011-02-16

PostSubject: Re: What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14   Sat May 21, 2011 1:31 pm

i totally agree with Taylor!
A big problem facing the world is that we would run out of stuff for future generations! With an advancement in this technology, could that problem be solved? bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14   Sun May 22, 2011 4:30 am

man these butterflys know how to use resources haha
this is prettyy cool but i think soon we will develop more efficiiat ways to use light energy
and if it comes to the same % as the butterfly then i would say
YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAHHH BBBBUUUDDDAAYY
king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rad.w

Registration date : 2009-09-08

PostSubject: Re: What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14   Mon May 23, 2011 3:02 pm

jen, i agree with you when you say
Quote :
planet enviromentaly speaking and economically speaking
because it's been true in so many cases where we spend so much money trying to build man made machines to help us figure things out, when really we find that nature has alreday figured it out for us! I think this is such a fascinating article and hopefully this reasearch will continue and environmantal problems will be solved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paolo Posteraro

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14   Mon May 23, 2011 4:23 pm

What if Butterflies Disappeared?
what’s going to happen ecologically due to human activity, there’s no doubt that we’ve made drastic changes to just about every natural habitat on the planet. Our oceans and natural water sources are polluted, the composition of our soil has been chemically altered, the atmosphere has been heavily influenced by emissions, our forests have been dramatically reduced, and on and on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14   Mon May 23, 2011 5:47 pm

WE CANT POSSIBLE KNOW THE EFFECTS THESE QUESTIONS WOULD HAVE ON SOCIETY BUT WHAT WE CAN DO IS TRY TO PREVENT SOME OF THEM FROM OCCURING THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD WHO ACTUALLLY DO THINGS TO PREVENT ANIMALS LIKE THE BUTTERFLY FROM DIEING BUT THE QUESTION WE SHHOULD ASK IS SHOULD WE EVEN INTERVENE?
I THINK THAT WE SHOULD STOP USING ALL MACHINES JUST FOR A WEEK AND SEE WHAT CHANGES HAPPEN
king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14   

Back to top Go down

What bugs can teach us about solar power pg 14
Page 1 of 1