Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged

Go down 
+2
Nathan Orlando
Alexis_Zacharko
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Alexis_Zacharko

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-02-24

Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged Empty
PostSubject: Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged   Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 11:34 pm

This is the first I am hearing of the possible extinction of males, which in my opinion seems quite impossible. I figure if humans have survived this long with no dramatic decrease in the male population then there should be no huge worry of extinction. Also, as the article states this wouldn't happen for "meer" 100 000 years, and i figure if this did become a problem by that time humans would have the knowledge and technology to easlily solve this drastic problem. The article does state that this idea is almost being scrapped, as it should. This theory is completly insane and personally I feel people have far more important things to research, such as cancer, which is a current issue all around the world! Altogether i think that the thought of males extiction should be of no worry as humans can adapt to changes to save our species. We should scrap this idea and move on to something that is killing off our species faster than a supposed decrease in Y chromosomes.

URL in comment below... sorry for the inconvenience.

Back to top Go down
Nathan Orlando

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged   Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 11:50 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17127617
That is the link to the article Alexis is talking about.

I too have never heard of the notion that males could one day be extinct. After reading this article my feelings have been confirmed in saying that this is absurd. Males have been around for thousands of years with no notable decrease to be seen, as soon as scientists see a small trend in the decrease of Y chromosomes they jumped to a very drastic conclusion. Upon further studying and testing they realized this was just a minor trend and is no problem. I agree with Alexis in that by the time they said males would be extinct in around 100,000 years we would have acquired and developed technology capable of stopping the trend long ago. I feel this study is trivial at best and time and money could be better spent researching problems that are occuring right now around the world such as cancer and countless other dieseases and problem we have. These scientists seemed to jump to conclusions far to soon, in a matter of years they produced a study saying that men would be extinct. To me this is insane and is rightfully being trashed.
Back to top Go down
Nina Benvenuto

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged   Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 12:07 am

The thought that males would all of a sudden disappear off the face of the earth is almost amusing, kind of like a horror story or science fiction movie. Since humans (males) have been on earth so long I don’t believe that all of a sudden the Y chromosome is going to disappear and in effect so will males. I do believe that perhaps the Y chromosome will evolve slightly differently in the future but with no evidence on that one cannot be sure. Though like the article says their hasn’t been a significant change in the Y chromosome for 25 million years, and because of that then I don’t believe that in 5 million years or 100,000 years there will be any significant change. Though it is necessary to continue to study important things such as chromosomes, this article goes slightly far when they start to suggest the extinction of male’s, maybe I’ll consider this if things continue to work out the way they say things will in 100,000 years.
Back to top Go down
Isaac Menghisteab

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged   Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 12:10 am

I dont think the idea is completely insane, just wrong. The theory came from the fact that the Y male chromosome has deteriorated into the samllest number of genes possible in order to keep functioning, which have been handpicked by natural selection as the most important genes for the Y chromosome to keep, so the male Y chromosome won't be going anywhere anytime soon. However I do agree that this issue poses no immediate or plausible threat and so should be disregarded in order to focus on other problems such as the aforementioned problem of cancer.
Back to top Go down
Ashley Bacchus

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged   Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 7:16 pm

I think that the original study which observed the genetic decay of the Y chromosome would have caused some concern. Based on the data the scientists had, they made a predication that males would become extinct in 5 million years. I don’t think it’s ludicrous that they predicated this because they thought they had sufficient data to back up their claim. Besides, that’s how science works; you do studies and collect data, make predictions, and publish it so that other scientists can do research on it as well. Perhaps they should have waited longer and done more research because then they would have found that the decaying has basically stopped. Perhaps after millions and millions of years something like this could possibly happen, because really anything can happen. Personally, I believe that’s its highly unlikely, we’ll just keep evolving and yeah there will be changes on the Y chromosome but probably nothing that will make it disappear entirely. And maybe they should stop the research on the extinction of the Y chromosome but not on the Y chromosome as a whole. Because there are disorders that are found on the Y chromosome, they aren’t as widespread as cancer but they still affect people.
Back to top Go down
EliseCandido

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged   Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 9:25 pm

After reading this article I was actually kind of surprised. I had never thought that male extinction was even possible. In my opinion, the idea isn't far fetched. It's completely understandable that scientists would be concerned after realizing that the Y chromosome is decaying. Which would lead to possible male extinction. Like Ashley said, "that’s how science works; you do studies and collect data, make predictions, and publish it so that other scientists can do research on it as well". This is a prediction. Evidently there will be further studies to try and figure things out, but we can only wait and see what will become of thoses studies. Personally, I think something like this is nothing to be concerned about, males aren't going to disappear spontaneously, and I don't think they will ever disappear. We live in an evolving world, perhaps the adaptations being taken by males to adapt is only clearly shown on their Y chromosome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged   Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Male Y chromosome extinction theory challenged
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics :: Discover Magazine :: February 2012-
Jump to: