Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Flavour changer: Genome could enhance tomato taste

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Suzanne Sawatski

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2012-02-10

Flavour changer: Genome could enhance tomato taste  Empty
PostSubject: Flavour changer: Genome could enhance tomato taste    Flavour changer: Genome could enhance tomato taste  Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Currently scientists are working on successfully identifying the tomato genome. With the genome it is believed that it will be possible to target genes that control flavour separately from those that control ripening, making a tomato available that can last longer while still achieving a dark red colour and be tastier. In the past alterations have been made to tomatoes, but at the expense of flavour and colour (for example, the non-ripening mutant gene). Although in the early 1990s a genetically modified tomato was introduced into society, which wasn’t hugely supported, scientists believe this time will have a different outcome, even if it is just in changing the way tomatoes are breed. However, even with a tastier tomato that will last longer, the concern of scientist being able to change the genetic make-up of fruit is brought forth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18253577

Back to top Go down
Cassidy Mozak

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Flavour changer: Genome could enhance tomato taste    Flavour changer: Genome could enhance tomato taste  Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:42 pm

While I do think that this genome map will lead to benefits for comsumers, in terms of flavour and self life of tomatoes, I wonder about the health effects of any genetically modified food. We see artificial foods in society more often than we should as it is, in the form of chips and other junk foods. These clearly have not been benefitting the majority of society as often times it is these foods that contribute to obesity. Could genetically modified foods be unhealthy for us like these artificial foods? Or are they generally okay? Can we even tell the effect they might have on humans without testing them over long time periods? My guess is no. Personally, I believe natural foods will always be best when looking at the situation from a health perspective. However, I can see how genetically modified food may be preferred by some.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas Kelly

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Flavour changer: Genome could enhance tomato taste    Flavour changer: Genome could enhance tomato taste  Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 12:48 am

Personally I am against processed foods, mostly because of the harsh effects on our bodies! But this is still an amazing idea, and there are thousands of things worse for you. So I believe this is a major advancement, although this isn't something I would buy, It may be preferred by many, and hopefully this helps to broaden sciences research! (Instead of spending much of the money on string theory Wink )
Back to top Go down
Ashley Bacchus

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Flavour changer: Genome could enhance tomato taste   Flavour changer: Genome could enhance tomato taste  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 5:56 pm

I agree with all of you that genetically modified foods can potentially affect our health. I suppose that the purpose of having tomatoes that taste better and last longer is to be able to make more profits, because if they’re better then more people would buy them. If they can make better tasting fruits and vegetables then kids might be more inclined to eat them. Although, with too many changes it could cause the fruits and vegetables to lose some of their essential aspects.

With scientists successfully modifying the genome of vegetables and fruits then perhaps they could move on to other things. Of course the ultimate feat would be modifying the genome of a human in order to fix genetic disorders and such. Obviously this isn’t going to happen anytime soon but maybe a couple hundred years from now it will become a reality.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flavour changer: Genome could enhance tomato taste    Flavour changer: Genome could enhance tomato taste  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flavour changer: Genome could enhance tomato taste
Page 1 of 1