Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

#54: Airplanes Can Pull Snow From Clouds

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-02-13

Empty
PostSubject: #54: Airplanes Can Pull Snow From Clouds
 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 4:34 am

SOOOOOO supposedly planes can punch holes in clouds, and change the weather below according to Microphysicist Andrew Heymsfield. Airplanes entering such cooled clouds just after takeoff or before landing can cause disruptions that instantaneously freeze those droplets.... causing more snow around airports. Especially during the winter time. So when the planes lift off or land, the plane makes the air around expand and cool. Which drops the air temperature substantially, freezing the water vapor. That frozen vapor quickly forms ice crystals that drop out of the cloud as snow. SICKKKKKKKKKK.

That's so cool that planes have the ability to form snow through just ordinary take off and landing. We don't need fake snow anymore! lol They could just come to Edmonton and take some of our snow. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Empty
PostSubject: Re: #54: Airplanes Can Pull Snow From Clouds
 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 5:11 am

I could see scientists expanding on this sort of idea with much more futuristic technologies and perhaps controlling the weather to a certain extent. Seems far off, but wouldnt that be something?
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Empty
 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 5:17 am

To control the weather...... See i would totally be for that!!!!

Maybe get some tropical weather up here in Deadmonton! Take away this freezing cold! pale

But yes it would be totally something, but to control the weather, that kind of technology might be in our lifetime, but i really doubt it. I would really wanna see how they would set that kind of technology up!
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

Empty
 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 5:30 am

To control the weather to a certain extent, yes. It seems very reasonable to say that in 20 years or so, if man decides to approach this idea, this could happen. But I doubt we would be able to control the weather across all of Edmonton without an extremely demanding machine which would consume resources like nothing. To cease snow or rain before and outdoor winter classic game, to me, doesn't seem that far off. 20 years?
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Empty
 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Yeah wouldnt that be something! To never have to worry abuout not having enough snow! LOL But couldnt we use this as a factor in getting water to really dry places. Maybe alter the weather to make it rain or even snow over those places and they will always have water. Those people could have fresh water, and more people would'nt get as sick. Smile
Back to top Go down
Amy Chu

Number of posts : 31

Empty
 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 8:04 pm

I think if a machine was created to control the weather, it will need tremendous amounts of resources from our economy. If the machine fails, our resources would have been a waste, and they are also probably non renewable. Also, ever heard of the saying, DONT MESS WITH NATURE!? If it were to succeed, there are possible negative side effects to our economy, or we might have to keep refilling it with more resources every here and then.
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

Empty
 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Very true, the resource demand would be tremendous but you have to consider that it would likely be in a few decades before this machine was developed; by then humans will have likely managed use the suns energy in much more efficent ways - compared to now. We likely wouldn't just use gas or some other non-renewable resource to power a machine that changes the weather. Humans should preserve gas and electricity for other, more important things such as heating our homes. Instead, and remember its 20-30 years from now, we could use the sun to fufill most of the demand for energy that a machine such as this would require.
Back to top Go down
Amy Chu

Number of posts : 31

Empty
PostSubject: Airplanes Can Pull Snow From Clouds
 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:14 pm

I agree with you, with technology being so advanced these days, maybe the idea of using the sun to fulfill most of the demand for energy that a machine would need will actually work. However, I think it would be difficult for humans to preserve gas and electricity, since large amounts of gas and electricity are being used so much daily, it's pretty hard to imagine humans being able to preserve it. I'm guessing when people see the effect of what they're doing to nature, then they would actually consider to start doing some good and maybe use the suns energy for other good things.

But like you said, this isn't going to happen anytime soon, so I guess we can all just wait patiently and see what happens in the next 20-30 years.
Back to top Go down
markmandrusiak

markmandrusiak

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-02-05

Empty
PostSubject: check this out!   #54: Airplanes Can Pull Snow From Clouds
 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 12:14 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpWzhZpC_gk/

i think this is about the same concept. anyway, the water molecules are boiling hot and then get shocked so quickly changing temperature so rapidly that they turn into snow. something to try this long weekend weather permitting
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

Empty
 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 12:43 am

changing the weather to some extent would be pretty amazing however the way we messed up the world so far with our polution i dont think it would be a good idea the way i see it is that were having these messed up weather conditions because the earth is trying to heal itself its like getting a cut that gets infected you dont keep changing the bandade you have to clean it first we change the weather condions to suit our wants but the earth is suffering trying to clean itself but its not working so it tries harder and harder via the tsunamies and storms. im not trying to be an environmentalist or whatever but we really shouldnt think about changing the weather to suit our needs but rather cleaning the earth now so we dont suffer for it later! afro
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Empty
 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:04 am

Josh gives a great point about the pollution factor, but what if changing the weather did not effect the certain ozone layer depletion? What if in someway or some how we could use the "changing of the weather" to our own environmental needs? for example maybe we could use it to help replenish the ozone?
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Empty
 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:08 am

i get were your going with this but how in the world can we do that like the ozone comes from the pollution right so how can changing the weather prevent or reduce it? it just dosnt add up
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Empty
 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:20 am

I don't know, it's just an idea lol . You never know what scientists can create nowadays ...

You think 30 years ago they would have thought we would ever have 3D HD TV's ? maybe even having TVs in general?

I think that science has proven to the world that if enough time and effort is given to something anything is possible. Like Space Travel Wink
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Empty
 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:23 am

lol well not HD TVs but tvs were invented and were improving however you do point out a strong fact i guess well just have to wait and see how advances in technology will improve
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Empty
 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:33 am

Exactly!

I can't wait for flying cars, Man me and my flu capacitor are gonna become the next Martinder Mcfly!
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

Empty
 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 4:41 am

It seems logical to think that if man can create a machine which can control a city's weather, then man can create this machine using efficient practices. If we have the science to create such a machine then we should certainly have the technological advancements of running this sort of machine with not only efficiency, but also so that it would not harm our environment or affect ozone amounts. Fair to say, no?
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Empty
 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 5:16 pm

Yes thats is completely fair to say.
I don't have any doubt that science will pull man kind through to that kind of technology...

It would be just a mattter of time before we get our hands on it.
Who knows maybe thye have been working on it already ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Empty
 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics :: Discover Magazine :: February 2011-