Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Paolo Posteraro

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63 Empty
PostSubject: Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63   Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 4:51 pm

i hate to say it but the concept of math is being used in many different life situations. it is fascinating how investigators are using math to pin point crimes happening in the neighborhoods. police are now involving mathematicians in their investigations to develops models on were the big crime areas are and can determine which is the best spot to place police. another article also states that sharks use math to hunt for their food. sharks using a levy flights which affects thier movement in big areas. these levy flights help sharks hunt their prey. math is becoming a big factor in life, from helping police locating criminal actions to helping sharks. who knows what other situation will come out next involving math.
Back to top Go down
Alicia Szczepanski

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63   Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Math is a big part of our world. And it could lead to many more discoveries. Some people say that the things they learn in school they won't need to use in the real world. But here is a perfect example of the real world using math to help solve crimes. It's so interesting how these mathematicians have figured out how there are these hot spots where criminals cluster together. This reminds me of many tv shows where they find patterns and things like that in the way that people are committing crimes. Math is helping our world pin point where crimes are likely to happen. With this information we could have more police in areas where crimes are most likely to happen and they can try and prevent unlawful activities from happening. I feel like this is just the beginning and scientists will find out more things about the way criminals think. I feel that they will be able to prevent more crimes and lower crime rates.
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63   Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:23 am

Many students think that the math and science they learn in school is irrelevant knowledge that they won't need when they grow up. The truth is, they're likely right. Students have to realize the stuff we learn now builds a foundation for what we will learn in the future which can be used in real life situations. I think it's fascinating to see how math has evolved into society in this manner. The fact that math can be used to fight crime is both humorous and revolutionary. I wish I could be learning that kind of math now as opposed to sketching derivatives of graphs.
Back to top Go down
Paolo Posteraro

Number of posts : 37

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63   Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 5:16 pm

i agree and disagree because math that we learn in highschool is mostly relveant for our future, but when you look at topics like conics where you cut a cone honestly i dont see were that type of knowledge is need in the real world. but yes mostly the math we do learn in highschool is a great basic understanding that we will use in the real world. technology is always changing and i believe that some individuals will come up with new ideas and new devices that will change the world aspects. like creating this new idea on how to pin point criminals is great but this idea could be built on maybe we can pin point criminals thought out the world who knows whats going to happen. thinking of these ideas, the society will contiune to change, maybe thier will be less crime on the streets and less violence around the world
Back to top Go down
AnthonyMattia

Number of posts : 46

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63   Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 6:21 pm

I think this is a perfect of example of how the mathematics that we learn in high school applies to future occupations and research that many students will end up contributing to (as hard as that is to want to believe). Although many of the things we learn right now seem irrelevant, as Taylor said, the techniques that we use in the activities we do in class are just the foundation of the more intensive math that you would need to do in jobs like this. The skills we are developing now are vital if you plan on ever 'fighting crime with mathematics'. Then again, if you have no intention of going into a career that uses intense math, then I guess the things you are learning really are useless to you lol Smile

Quote :
I wish I could be learning that kind of math now as opposed to sketching derivatives of graphs.

I couldn't agree with you more Taylor! haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63   Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fighting Crime with mathematics pg63
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics :: Discover Magazine :: February 2011-
Jump to: