Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

physics of the divine p. 49

Go down 
+7
Ciara Toppin
Derek Pottruff
Simrit Birdi
Loteyk
Josh King Konu
Amy Chu
markmandrusiak
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
markmandrusiak

markmandrusiak

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-02-05

physics of the divine p. 49 Empty
PostSubject: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 3:37 am

in this article, there is the argument made that religion has some place in the physics of the universe. i believe that religion really has no place in science as in many other topics that god gets dragged into. i'm not trying to say that there is or isnt a god, but it really just complicates and frustrates everything. if i had to think up an example of how god may be an important aspect in science is numbers like phi (the golden ratio google it) or the coincidence that we even exist.
Back to top Go down
Amy Chu

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 11:58 pm

In my opinion, I'm pretty sure physics has nothing to do with religion/God. I mean sciences are based on discovery, and humans discover new things, (like physics) and how it works and stuff. I don't see how religion would fit into any sciences. Also, I agree with you that maybe the argument started because some believe "god may be an important aspect in science is numbers like phi" but honestly there were people many years ago who already had a thought that "physics" or other sciences were present, it's just they did not have enough information to prove it. For example, static electricity was seen by Thales of Miletus around 600BC and only until 1600AD was William Gilbert able to show the differences between magnetism and electricity. Therefore, physics is slowly being revealed by peoples interest and not by the help of a religion/God.

But that's just my opinion, maybe religion is related to physics.. but I wouldn't know.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 5:08 am

i understand what you mean mark actually searched what info is provided on both of them and found that a variety of historical philosophical and scientific arguments have been put forth in favor of the idea that science and religion are in conflict. historical examples of religious individuals or institutions promoting claims that contradict both contemporary and modern scientific thoughts include creationism the Roman Catholic Church's opposition to heliocentrism (google it lol) and more recently, Pope Benedict XVI's said some surprising things in 2009 claiming that the use of condoms to combat the AIDS epidemic in Africa was ineffective and counterproductive which kanye west i belive said about the same thing haha
Back to top Go down
Loteyk

Loteyk

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-02-16

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 11:40 am

Im not an athiest or anything but i believe science brings us where we are today in the world technology wise rather than God. Josh you were talking about the Roman Catholic Church and how they oppose heliocentrism. I remember learning this in class how i think it was Galileo proved the Roman Catholic Church wrong many times and this angered them because he believed in an idea rather than agreeing with them that God made everything perfect.

1. He found “mountains” on the Moon.
“But God put it there, it should be perfect,” said the
Church.
2. Discovered four of Jupiter’s moons.
“But everything is supposed to orbit us on Earth,
because God put us at the centre,” said the Church.
3. He looked at the sun (not a good idea) and saw sun spots, areas where the sun appears blotchy.
“But God created the sun, so it’s perfect,” said the Church.
4. He supported the Copernican theory that the Sun is at the centre, not the Earth.

This angered the church and they made him abjure his theories! Galileo died in 1642 but it was in the year 1992 that his conviction was finally reversed! how crazy is that?
If Galileo did not have enough evidence that Science existed, then who would? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Science is no better than religion", or even "...just another religion" is the basis of arguments that science should have no more of a voice in public policy than any of the many disagreeing factors among the world's religions. If this is true, which "religion" would you rather have: one which repeatedly commits "miracles" such as curing diseases and allowing humans to visit the heavens and return alive, or one where miracles are rare and sparsely occurred?
Sorry but i really believe Science and Religion don't have anyplace being together in any way of explaining whats the world about.
Back to top Go down
Loteyk

Loteyk

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-02-16

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:27 pm

i firmly still stand as a science believer. I believe in the theory of evolution because it makes sense!
But there arre somethings that cant be explained. Is it God? who actually knows!?

Science vs religion shouldnt be a clash.
There should be both.
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Yes both should be able to thrive in humans, and should be able to explain different aspects in life, but there will always be a clash! Cause Religion has certain explanations, that science can explain as well !

They are almost the complete different things, and cannot ever be the same!
Back to top Go down
Derek Pottruff

Derek Pottruff

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-03

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:19 pm

People spend too much time trying to prove that religions are true or false. Who cares if it's true? Just live by the morals that they teach. Be a good person, that's that. Science on the other hand is known to be true. It's right in front of our eyes. This does not make it "better", but it's a more reliable source for many of lifes questions. Eg. Adam and Eve.. Good story, good morals, but very unlikely.
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 12:26 am

True that Derek, Live by it's morals , live by the teachings it gives us, what we learn from it. What God "wants" us to be, good people. We can learn so much from both Religion and Science that can make us way better people, make us be more wise. I really like your view!
Back to top Go down
Ciara Toppin

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 7:05 pm

I think that science is independent from God and although there may be instances where it seems like science is influenced by God, these instances may very well be a coincidence. Science is a universal language shared by all no matter what their religion is and it brings all people together, by bringing religion and God into science things will be very much complicated.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 11:24 pm

i agree with Ciara, if you do think about it yeah religion and science are two different things that's are distances away from each other if a scientist asked a pastor or any religious person for that matter what created the world he would most likely get a reply saying not what but WHO and after that a long religious teaching now if the pastor asked the scientist somewhat the same question out of curiosity the scientist would pull out a number of different possibilities along the lines of the big bang! i think that this topic is too much for anyone to examine to a deep level because of all of the complications between the two sides everyone wants to be right so i don't thing you will ever solve this issue.
Back to top Go down
Kristen Cote

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-02-26

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 1:09 am

I agree that religion has absolutely nothing to do with science. I don't understand how some people actually can believe that God created the universe. I'm not saying that there isn't a God or anything but there's no way some higher being could have randomly created a bunch of planets. Science tells us how the Earth and universe were created, and thats what i'm going to believe.
Back to top Go down
Ciara Toppin

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:16 am

I agree with kristen that science tells us how the earth was created, planets could not have been created randomly they must have been created by science. If they were created by a higher power how does science explain everything so well, just doesn't make sense.
Back to top Go down
Kristen Cote

Registration date : 2010-02-26

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:18 am

Science doesn't lie! Wink
Back to top Go down
Marvin N

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 8:42 pm

I agree with all of you on how Science and Religion are high distances apart and they're very complicated to understand mutually but... it rightfully should be that way. We all have to remember that the bible was written thousands of years ago and obviously science was not as advanced as it is today. My point is yes some concepts in it aren't as accurate or definate as science explains but thats not the purpose of the writings. For example the 7-day story of creation was told to tell the jewish kids to keep their faith and not act wildly and immoral as the egyptians while they were in exile, it wasn't intended to be seen as a scientific fact. The bible- more generally, religion is there to educate our moral knowledge and help us live a good life while science is there to help improve our logics and understanding of the world we live in. Idea
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

Number of posts : 82

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 5:20 am

Quote :
The bible- more generally, religion is there to educate our moral knowledge and help us live a good life while science is there to help improve our logics and understanding of the world we live in.
I couldnt agree more with this statement. Science and Religion are simply two different things.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 5:24 am

science and religion are two different things but they are both touched on the same subjects if you get what i mean for example how we were created or how the world began!
Back to top Go down
markmandrusiak

markmandrusiak

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:28 pm

Please don't forget that the Bible is the most blood soaked book of all time!!! Evil or Very Mad Why is this alledged "guiding light" of a book the root of so much evil? This is just my opinion, but people who say how great the Bible is and then criticize any kind of war or evil because its against what the Bible teachs are in a way very hypocritical. It might not be the words of the Bible, but what the Bible represents is an evil empire we call the Catholic Church!
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

Number of posts : 82

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 4:09 am

they do touch on the same subjects, but in my opinion, science is more vast. The bible is a moral guideline alone with a few extra theories as to what people who have faith in God believe. Science is mostly based on proven issues and ideas which can apply to almost anything.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 3:53 am

mark for the first time i disagree with that statement first of all the catholic church did not create the bible so don't relate the root of all evil of the catholic church to the bible, second of all in life there are many different cultures and many different perspectives on whats right and whats wrong yes there were crusaded and all that wars about religion stuff but you cannot blame the bible for them the bible teaches us things and if we were to acknowledge that we wouldn't have wars well that's if the world unifies through the scriptures. just remember the catholic church did not create the bible.
Back to top Go down
markmandrusiak

markmandrusiak

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Josh, I agree that the Bible offers great morals for life. I was more thinking of the way people interpret them. Maybe I wasnt clear enough Wink but I was more gearing towards the acts of horror that people have done while being "guided" by the Bible.
Back to top Go down
Marvin N

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Couldn't agree more with Josh on that point, the catholic church was created many years after the finalizing and unification of the final books to be put in the bible. Mark (Big Man), many people in this world do horrific acts and since most of them try to keep their "good" reputations, they try to rationalize their bad actions by quoting passages from bible mis-interpreting the true message behind them. Take the catholic church for instance in their early years, they enforced their religion on people and killed many people with different understandings and views on religion using the bible as an excuse for their actions. The bible clearly states the freedom that God gives us to believe in him but does not impose himself to anybody whatsoever. My point is that many bad figures give the bible a bad name by preaching good while doing wrong and justifying themselves by associating their actions to the bible.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 3:41 pm

YES MARVIN! exactly what i was thinking like all those people who preach the word
and then do crimes and then associate it with the bible are the people who change the views of the viewers like everyone is
born with an innocent slate its when they are taught bad that they begin to act in a bad way for instance Micheal Vick as
a kid he watched dog fights so he didn't see anything wrong with it as he got older he couldn't identify why this was wrong until
he faced a consequence teaching him how bad it really is now look were he is one of the greatest players alive today.
Back to top Go down
AnthonyMattia

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:41 pm

Kristen Cote wrote:
Science doesn't lie! Wink

AMEN Wink haha.

I definitely agree with Kristen. I don't believe science and religion have ANYTHING to do with each other. Trying to mix the science world with the spiritual world is impossible in my opinion. The amount of vast scientific knowledge that has been gathered over the course of thousands of years is in no way proven to be influenced by any 'God'. I don't understand why some people who believe so strongly in god condemn physics and all other sciences so strongly!

.... Couldn't God have created Physics? Laughing and THERES the connection between the two Wink hahah
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:02 pm

its like comparing physics with quantom mechanics!! there both very good in certain cases but you cannot join them together it just doesnt work! king
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: physics of the divine p. 49   physics of the divine p. 49 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

physics of the divine p. 49
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics :: Discover Magazine :: March 2011-
Jump to: