Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Baby stars blasting out jets of matter

Go down 
+4
Josh King Konu
Johanna Meier
Simrit Birdi
Jennifer Bouyazbek
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jennifer Bouyazbek

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-02-08

Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Empty
PostSubject: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 8:14 pm

OKAY WE ARE TALKING ABOUT STARS IN THIS ONE !!! Very Happy Laughing

So browing through the online website of the magazine, i found the astronomy section very interesting especially this one !!
The European Space Agency spread out some pics of some young stars being "born"

heres a pic:
Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Eso1109a
sorry the pic is huge, but you can really see the little details. What your seeing is actually a small part of a star forming region surrounding the star R Corona Australis, 550 light years away !! So this is the "birthplace" of many of our stars.. How scientists discovered that 2 new stars are evolving is that are blowing out long streamers of matter called jets.

The curved wave( top left) is usually caused by episodic spasms from the star, expelling gusts of wind which interact with previously blown-out material. And the long, bright streamer to the left of the jet is probably material compressed by the jet as it expands.

This is soo interesting it makes me wonder what the scene looked like when the Sun was born !! must have been HUGEEEEE !
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 9:19 pm

How do they know how the star is forming???
Like how could they get this pic?
It looks amazing! It must have been a pretty powerful telescope!!!
It looks like something out of a video game or an animated movie lol

I wonder if this is like a mini version of how the universe began? Like the BIG BANG!
Cause isn't that the way stars are born?
Somesort of bang
Back to top Go down
Jennifer Bouyazbek

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 9:29 pm

It says in the article it was taken using filters which accentuates the glow from hydrogen and sulfur gas ! so they get a clearer picture of the full details.

I knoow !! I was wondering maybe the sun was formed from huge regions where possible stars maybe be born and maybe even the star could be the first star ever born !!
Its really interesting and I would love to know more about astronomy.
For sure one of my interests in the fields of education ! Smile
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 12:10 am

Wowww it's so cool how technology has come to this! The technology to see such clear images so many light years away!

YEAH
Astronomy is soooo interesting! Like what is the point of having stars anyway? (not including the sun)
Like whats the purpose? just to make the night sky pretty? lol

You taking Astronomy in post secondary? rabbit afro
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 1:32 pm

Jen, I agree - could you just imagine what the sun would look like during its formation? Like, these stars it looks like what is happening is huge and with the sun being greatly larger then a star it would of been amazing to see. Although if something like the formation of the sun did happen while pictures were taken with a teleschope, i think there could be the possibilty of that telescope being ruined. Just like for humans with their eyesight. If we look at for a long time stars, it doesn't harm us. But if we look at the sun for a long time, loss of eyesight would occur.
The telescope they would of had to build for the sun would've been a sight to see all on its own.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 2:50 pm

Now that's what I call INTERESTING!!
its so cool how far we have come in technology today like look at this picture
i bet Galileo and all those guys would be astonished to see how much we have improved there brilliant ideas
wow this is very sweet to see im just curious at how they can know all these things and what they mean! afro
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Or Galileo will be disappointed in us with how long it has taken to develop these technologies.
It's kind of amazing how what we learn in class, about all these guys how learn new things and discovered new theories, laws, and ideas. They're all in a relatively close span. But in our day and age, ith all the new technologies we have compared to them, it takes us so much longer to discover things.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 3:16 pm

thats actually so true!
i never thought of it that way yeah i guess they could say that in our life time the people have been slacking! afro
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 3:34 pm

Exactly! Its like how adults say this generation isn't as smart. Or how we text when we could talk face to face and how technology is taking over. Galeleo did not have even a quarter of the technology we have but during his time, the people were ten times as brilliant as they are now.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 3:48 pm

i totally agree can it be safe to say that some of the advances in technology are slowing us down? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Exactly! Ever since technology has grown our ability to discover new things has lessened. Maybe with this neq technological discoveries, we've lost the ability to see much more then the reliable. Galileo and them seemed to have more accomplishments without the simpleness/easiness of technology. Maybe technology isn't as helpful as it was ment to be?
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 1:27 am

yeah it seems like the technology we have today are just a bunch of distractions holding us back from great inventions we could be making to better our lives for years to come and not just temporary like the advances in tv's.
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 am

I just believe that if we go back to the ways things use to be - actually using our own brain and not technology as our brain - we would be able to discover so much more. It is true that technology has advanced us, also that some technological creations are amazing and a sight to be seen, but truly they are not getting us anywhere. Well, other then secluding us from people and never making face to face contact.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 1:12 pm

yeah i know what you mean were at the point where technology is taking over without us even knowing!!!
think about all those text messages youve sent in the last week i bet there were more conversations in your phone then in person! king
Back to top Go down
Jennifer Bouyazbek

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Yeah its actually kinda scary to think what te world would look like a few years from now... or even just today whos out there looking at us being the "aliens" or who is reading our text messages or monitoring our computers... scary scary stuff !
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:12 pm

it really is but i hope there will be improvements in USEFUL technology in the years to come
and also a better security like that bullying session was pretty scary if you think about the whole people accesing your webcam
i hope they can find ways to patch these perverts. king
Back to top Go down
AnthonyMattia

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:58 pm

Wow, that picture really is amazing.
However, I have to disagree somewhat about the comments made about technology holding us back. Although we as individuals may rely to heavily on technology sometimes, the amount of discoveries that have been made in recent years due to the use of technologies is very vast. Although it seems as is Galileo and Newton, accomplished sooooo much more than scientists today, i think that is because they were some of the first people to every scientifically/mathematically begin to prove anything. With lots of the groundwork in math and physics laid by them, it seems as if we are not making any big strides, but that is only because we focus so much on the work that they have done, and not on the advancements being made today around the world. They made so many of the major discoveries that it seems as if it leaves us with with little left to discover that will be groundbreaking to society.

Just looking at that picture, its is amazing to think that scientists are able to get such clear shots of events happening so far away! Smile
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:25 pm

i dissagree i think our advances in technology could be soo much better if we werent focusing on unessential items but whose to know for sure?!? king
Back to top Go down
Ciara Toppin

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 5:06 pm

This picture shows a lot of detail and for scientists to be able to detect that new stars are forming is mesmerizing. This type of thing looks almost out of a video game, but to know that it is a real life picture is very interesting. I find the universe so interesting and learning little facts like this is great.
Back to top Go down
Jennifer Bouyazbek

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 6:23 pm

I agree with you Ciara ! Its one of my interests because discoveries like this is what might shape our future and it would be a really cool field to get into in university Smile
Back to top Go down
Rad.w

Registration date : 2009-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 7:45 pm

This is such an interesting picture! It's so scary thinking about what's beyond our boundaries! To think of something being light years away isn't something easy to wrap your head around! As far as technology goes, I completely agree that science has taken a back seat to innovation and effiencieny. Less time is being spent on researching chemical species while more time and effort is placed on making the thinnest computer that can hold the most information. However, on the other hand I think technoology is never a bad thing unless we don't know how to properly use it. If technology can help people communicate faster, find information faster and eventually find a cure for cancer, than i completely agree with it. But when technology is being used to seperate people and move us to the internet world as we forget the'real world' than i think the future will have alot of problems. This is just a phase in my opinion. For example, the race the moon, space travel, space science and research was very big during the cold war era and so much time and effort was spent to get the newest greatest thing. It's slowed down alot now. We're in a time now where technology is speeding up because of all the new innovations, but eventually it will slow down and something new will come along. Maybe more focus will be put on space travel again, since ideas for 'vacations to the moon' are floating around.....
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Anthony, that is a very good point. When Galileo and Newton were discovering things, there was already so much undiscover with the world that they basically had the universe to discover, how it worked and everything within in. But now, with so much already discovered, discoveries are getting more specific and miniscule because there is already so much discovered.
Back to top Go down
Ashley Bacchus

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Hmm that’s such a pretty picture. I really like stars, even if they don’t do much or anything they’re still interesting to look at. Pictures of stars and space like that just look beautiful and I dunno, cosmically divine lol. How they’re made and stuff can be really complex and hard to wrap your head around but it’s still a really cool field of science.

And I don’t think that technology has slowed us down either… I mean yeah there are bad things about some of the technology we currently have but I think it’s more beneficial than harmful. If we didn’t have the technology we have now we wouldn’t be able to get all these pictures of things that are hundreds and thousands of light-years away from us, not to mention building and operating huge scientific machines like the spacecrafts and stuff. I think science relies very heavily on technology and we are continuing to make new discoveries. They may not be breaking new worthy for everyone to hear about all the time but they’re still important and it’s still some kind of progress. And I’m sure that lots of those discoveries have been made because of the technology we have. Maybe the day-to-day technology we use does make us lazy or something but our ability to access information and communicate it to others has vastly improved because of that technology.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baby stars blasting out jets of matter    Baby stars blasting out jets of matter  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baby stars blasting out jets of matter
Page 1 of 1