Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Paralysed patients use thoughts to control robotic arm

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Belinda Ongaro

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Paralysed patients use thoughts to control robotic arm Empty
PostSubject: Paralysed patients use thoughts to control robotic arm   Paralysed patients use thoughts to control robotic arm Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 9:11 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18092653
This partnership project will provide hope to individuals suffering from quadriplegia by means of a sensor implanted in the motor cortex of the brain. The sensor is attached to a computer for the purpose of interpreting electrical impulses, which will allow these individuals to once more control their "arms" by thought. Scientists hope that in the near future they will successfully restore the function of other limbs by similar means. The ability to perform as simple a task as drinking from a cup unaided, a skill we take for granted, has fostered feelings of joy, independence, and hope among those patients who have received treatment derived from the field of brain-computer interfaces. A critical detail regarding the science behind this project is the fact that the component of the brain responsible for movement continues to function for over a decade after paralysis occurs, making this treatment available to a broad range of individuals. I believe that this field will continue to advance and hopefully in the future we will witness the complete restoration of bodily function to those who have been trapped inside their bodies by paralysis.
Back to top Go down
Suzanne Sawatski

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2012-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Paralysed patients use thoughts to control robotic arm   Paralysed patients use thoughts to control robotic arm Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 1:34 pm

This is exciting news to those who suffer from being paralysed. After years of being unable to do simply actions, which we take for granted and dont realize how hard life can be without being able to do these actions alone, selected patients are able to experience happiness though a trial test. Although it is not ready for practical use yet, it is amazing that technology can one day restore the moments of paralyzed limbs so indiviudals can once again live a normal life and pursue their interests without relying on someone else to help them with the simplest tasks like drinking a glass of water.
Back to top Go down
Cassidy Mozak

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Paralysed patients use thoughts to control robotic arm   Paralysed patients use thoughts to control robotic arm Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 9:20 pm

I think this is great for anyone who has unfortunately been affected by paralysis. It really allows them to reeastablish some sort of control in their actions and lives and will truly make their daily activities easier. I also like the fact that it will allow them to establish independence once again as they no longer have to be dependent on other individuals to assist them throughout the day. Hopefully this will be available to all patients soon and will be affordable as the benefits really are endless. Also, with more research and trials, I am sure they could extend this technology to function as an actual body part attached to an individuals body so that the device would be mobile and available to the individual when ever they need it.
Back to top Go down
Ashley Bacchus

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Paralysed patients use thoughts to control robotic arm   Paralysed patients use thoughts to control robotic arm Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 12:22 am

This is pretty amazing! I’m sure that Cathy, the patient, would have been overwhelmed by what she was able to accomplish, I know I would be. Reconnecting the brain to paralysed limbs, would certainly be an astounding accomplishment. So it’s really wonderful to see advancement in allowing those with paralysis and other injuries to regain control of their limbs. Having this technology would drastically improve the lives of so many people. I find it surprising that the part of the brain that controls movement remains active for more than a decade after paralysis. It’s interesting that even though you can physically see that your, leg for example, is gone but your brain won’t really comprehend it and will still try to send signals to your leg, I believe that’s where phantom pain comes from. So maybe if they could get a prosthetic leg to move, then maybe they could find a way to stop phantom pain as well. Of course there would be many complications that could arise from implanting the sensors into people’s brains. The brain is just so complex; they probably need a couple more decades to even come close to having this technology be readily available. But nonetheless, hopefully the clinical trials will be able to start sometime soon, because we definitely need this technology.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paralysed patients use thoughts to control robotic arm   Paralysed patients use thoughts to control robotic arm Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paralysed patients use thoughts to control robotic arm
Page 1 of 1