Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How Games Will Save The World Pg.23

Go down 
+8
tyler brown
Taylor Lashyn
Jordan Read
Vivian Tran
Josh King Konu
Loteyk
Jennifer Bouyazbek
Simrit Birdi
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-02-13

How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Empty
PostSubject: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 4:49 pm

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW cyclops lol!

this article argues that video games will eventually if made a certain way willl help mankind by producing games that will challenge people around the world to solve major problems in the world... hunger, poverty, etc. Suppossedly these people that play will attemplt differenty ways of their own to save mankind from these problems.

A game was produced liek this that was set in 2020, where you are a superhero problem solver in Africa...

What i don't understand is how they are really going to implant this sort of "gaming" into people who spend hours and hours a day playimng games like Call of Duty...
Back to top Go down
Jennifer Bouyazbek

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 5:01 pm

LOL reading this makes me think of the obvious response everybody gets to this certain invention " " what makes everyone so sure this will work, its another stupid invention."
But i believe that if enough thought and money was spent into this program and enough advertisment and awarness is brought to the teenage world, some 10 year olds with possible potential will ditch Call of Duty and actually put some effort into making a model world in which it may be possible to solve our problem... who knows ?

What do you think Simrit ?
Back to top Go down
Loteyk

Loteyk

Registration date : 2011-02-16

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 5:04 pm

LOL jen. violence is what sells video games lately!!!

im pretty sure not all ten year old kids will be excited to be like a superman of africa.... compared to gunning down ppl in a video game like call of duty

violence is what drives ppl to buy games. and i think video games makes things worse. gives younger kids bad ideas Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 5:07 pm

Violence is the only reason why these games sell!

as Kesar says no 10 year old kid will wanna help people... as bad as that sounds, if all their friends are playing Call Of Duty and voilent games they will too.

But if their parents were to not let the kids buy these games and only buy the "world saving" games... who knows?

We will never actually know till we try right?

It sucks how the generations are gettying more and more violent... and people like Mahatma Ghandi and Mother Theresa are not being taught as much in schools anymore, and more about the wars and how many people were killed, how they were killed...
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 7:47 pm

well kids would obviously like to help people its just that they do not understand the power behind the help they can give. this game would be pretty cool but like if you think about it the more people play these violent games the more they tend to fancy them over lets say an athletic game, but there will always be some who will enjoy this new concept of gaming and those people will most likely influence others causing a chain reaction kind of like the call of duty explosion the main reason behind playing it is because your friends are playing it also if they weren't you would probably not play as much.
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 pm

You have a good point Josh .. But people don't like change... lol Why would they wanna change from games like Call of Duty to a game all about helping people.. it's like playing something the entire opposite. It's like eating meat every meal ever since you were born, and just randomly change to a complete vegetarian diet
Back to top Go down
Vivian Tran

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-03-15

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:29 am

haha, i do hope this "game" really does help the world in a way. I can't really picture how it will work out. after all, games are part of the virtual world and the problems they are trying to solve are in the real world. would it really help? would people be interested in being selfless? maybe some are, but would they really get the meaningful intention behind the game? i can just see it now, people would come along and start ruining the initial goal since they have nothing better to do with their time. for example, something like a blog was for someone to express their feelings like a diary, but some people would come along and trash it...

i asked some kid who's a gamer if he would be interested in playing this game, and he said no without even thinking. it didn't interest him one bit... thats just sad..

but overall, i do love the objective of the game... all we can do now is hope they succeed in helping the world Smile
Back to top Go down
Jordan Read

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-03-16

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:58 am

Pretty cool game, but as Kesar and Simrit said i don`t think 9-10 year old kids would play this game. They would think it`s boring cause there`s no violence in it such as CoD/etc.
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 2:28 am

I think producing such advanced video games would prove to be appealing to older generations. The kids could stay playing their super advanced 3-D shooting games, but, in the future, I can see a technological society in which older generations have 'video games' like this a part of their lives - unlike todays society where the majority of our parents don't even know how to hold an xbox controller properly.
Back to top Go down
tyler brown

tyler brown

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 6:13 pm

video games in a way prepare people cause if there was ever some crazy war( as stupid as this sounds) at least these kids would know what violence is and what a gun is. its not the same thing and never will be the same thing.
these games could also be a stress reliever. they could help kids who have issues emotional and killing online imaginary people may be a way to let them realize that energy instead of bottling it up and releasing it on some unexpecting person.
i also dont think games will help people gain a sense of responsibility to help people who are in need. this would come from the environment they were raised in and the ethics they were taught. people need to learn this from an early age and realize that the world is in trouble.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 3:35 pm

I disagree Tyler killing someone in a game is WAY different then in person look at those military guys they go to war kill someone and there messed up forever (PTSD) like the only way games would help people in my opinion is in the effects of thinking like brain games it will help you know what to do in certain situations! afro
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

Number of posts : 37

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 am

I do really understand how this is "saving the world." Whoever is playing this game is still doing that - playing a game. They're still in their house, sitting on a couch, staring at a screen. They are not out in the world helping it - the environment, the people, any of it. So truly, I do think think this is saving the world. This is saving a virtual world, one where bad cannot actually happen.
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 pm

i think you mean dont right? lol
and well yeah i understand were your coming from but like these games will help you to solve problems in certain situations
but i guess it all has to deal with the drive put into actually getting off the couch and solving the worlds issues then just the virtual game.
Back to top Go down
Jennifer Bouyazbek

Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

I actually think that solution to nowaday problems can come from a simple yet very challening video game that is manipulative enough to force the kids to put some effort into maybe "unlocking" a new level.. But speaking realistically, this is not gonna happen anytime soon with all the modern killing and racing games available on the market.. No one knows though ! Neutral
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 2:09 pm

yeah people in todays society are more into shooting zombies and stuff like that if these games become introduced i think it would have to involve the cod type of theme king
Back to top Go down
AnthonyMattia

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:03 pm

Yeah i definitely agree with Taylor. I don't think games like this would appeal to kids in our age demographic - at least not in our time. Maybe in the future this would appeal to children, but definitely not now.

However, even then thought of video games solving such large world problems seems highly unlikely to me. I do think that they would be very effective in spreading some sort of awareness for these issues, but solving them is another story! I don't think playing games would be able to end large scale problems such as world hunger - i think going out and actually contributing to your society instead of playing these 'helpful' video games would be much more beneficial Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:23 pm

i dissagree i think that it could help the world if people actually learned from it they could realise how bad the world actually is in some areas think of a level in the game that provides you with the experience of a village in africa you will obviously realise how bad it reallly is and it will broden your view on what areas in the world actually need help. if i saw this in a game and it was true then i would most likely help out in any way i can!
Back to top Go down
Ciara Toppin

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 5:03 pm

If they could come up with interesting and addictive video games for people and teens to play that would help them to be better people and potentially help the world and save their problems that would be great. But like stated above how will the people addict to other games with no meaning switch over and become fascinated by a real life game expected to help the world.
Back to top Go down
tyler brown

tyler brown

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 8:08 pm

if they could create a game like that then maybe. the problem is is that violence drives the world and it always has. ppl have always had amusement from blood and guts. goes back to roman times Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paolo Posteraro

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 8:15 pm

haha this is a good topic but thier so many factors that affect this, companies are not going to go make so video game that betters a person because like everyone said kids like the shooting games. companies dont care they want to make money and so they contiune to distruibte games with violence and they dont care. but its funny that I remember the first time I played Grand Theft Auto. After five hours straight of running red lights over pedestrians virtually, I had to get in my car to run an errand. As I approached a stop sign, I remember thinking, if this was Grand Theft Auto, I'd run it! Of course, I obeyed the rules of the road, but the fact that thought popped in my head for even a second,I do think, however, it’s point when it comes to violence in video games. Regardless of whether most games (and pretty much all casual games) help your child learn and become a better person, it does not help the fact that some games are ultra-violent and should be not be sold to under-age children or without the parent’s permission, in the same way alcohol or R-rated movies are regulated in this country.

Back to top Go down
tyler brown

tyler brown

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 8:36 pm

ya i agree with pablo. people are just out to make money
Back to top Go down
Johanna Meier

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Personally, I still don't think they will be much help. Even though it is a nice idea and would be very beneficial if they did help, I do not think they realistically will. As bad as it is, people are interested in the killing, the destroying - things that harm people and our world in the long run. Saving people and the environment is the exact opposite of what people are into when it comes to games. To better progress this "saving the worlds" it needs to be added into lots more things - things that every person does. Most video games now adays are for young kids, teenagers and young adults MOSTLY, they are the majority of the population of gamers. They need to add this stuff into readings, television programs, radio programs so that everyone can be aware of how to help. Not just "gamers"
Back to top Go down
tyler brown

tyler brown

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 5:28 pm

ya but the way the world runs it will never happen. like i said before- violence sells Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Paolo Posteraro

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 10:49 pm

honestly would u rather play a game which teaches you about life uh no you want a fast intense game where your shooting people and etc companies know this and they take advatage of it, their is no changing the entertainment industry now its already gone far in their technology.
Back to top Go down
Loteyk

Loteyk

Registration date : 2011-02-16

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 10:43 pm

yeah exactly poalo!
The money companies make for the type of games like Call of duty and halo are insane! ive never seen so many people wait outside future shop to get the game in which you're a one man wrecking crew killing anything that gets in your way. But violence makes us happy when its not happening to us!

They have a really negative effect though esp when that one kid ran away from home after playing that one level of call of duty where you go into the airport with your gang and kill every innocent person in there!

People think that level is sweet.... messed up.

The video game market is too far into violence, theres no way that a game like this would sell....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Games Will Save The World Pg.23   How Games Will Save The World Pg.23 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Games Will Save The World Pg.23
Page 1 of 1