Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mr. Clintberg's Studyphysics

A place for Mr.C's students to come and discuss topics in physics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alien Earth pg.28

Go down 
+4
Taylor Lashyn
Rad.w
tyler brown
Simrit Birdi
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-02-13

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 3:46 pm

In the 70 square mile Mono lake just outside Yosemite National Park could pass for an extraterrestrial landscape!!!
It has:
  • More than twice the amount of salt in the water compared to the ocean

• It's arsenic-laced waters support a vibrant ecosystem where it contains some of the most bizarre earthlings

• The bacteria there can not only consume the arsenic, but may even be able to incorporate the toxin into their DNA in place of phosphorus

• The craters neighboring the lake is the continents youngest Volcanoes, beginning 40,000 years ago

• The layer of ash buried in the underlying sediment confirms that Mono lake predates a volcanic blast 760,000 years ago!

• There are 30 feet up limestone spires dotting it's shores

Here is a picture of the Mono Lake:

Alien Earth pg.28 Sea_of_Microscopie_Life_Mono_Lake_Sierra_Nevada_California
Back to top Go down
tyler brown

tyler brown

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 3:59 pm

this is cool how life can be so versatile and be able to survive such harsh conditions. this shows what l;ife may have been like inthe early years. i heard of a place like this in chile.
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 5:20 pm

afro Really? in chile?
COOL!

What did the place look like?
DId it have weird conditions like this?
Back to top Go down
tyler brown

tyler brown

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 7:31 pm

ya it had like acid coming out of the ground and it formd pools. other weird chemicals were found and organisms were found to be living in it. it was weird
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 11:29 am

Laughing
acid??

cool!
DO you know how it got formed?
Back to top Go down
tyler brown

tyler brown

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 3:23 pm

i cant remember. it was just this alien world that no one really knew existed.
Back to top Go down
Simrit Birdi

Simrit Birdi

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 9:44 pm

That's amazing how acid cou;ld form like hot spings in the earth!!!

I really wonder how they are formed,.
Back to top Go down
Rad.w

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-09-08

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 1:03 am

Quote :
•The bacteria there can not only consume the arsenic, but may even be able to incorporate the toxin into their DNA in place of phosphorus

It's amazomg how much more there is to discover. This can eventually link into biological studies involving genetic engineering, research into DNA and genetic layouts are expanding at a rapid rate, and by doing tests in places such as this and doing continued research into bacteria as the one described above many new discoveries can be made. Often times medicine or medical technology is a copy of nature, and you never know what this bacterial research could lead to : maybe even a discovery that could help humans. I was also thinking, that there have been many new discoveries of bacteria who can convert harnful substances into substances that humans cab deal with.. maybe this will eventually be incorporated into pollution reduction technology, etc.
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-02-17

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 2:50 am

It would be neat to see a place like this, considering its extraterrestial status which creates a sort of provacative feeling. Seeing the variety of bizzare species and how they live in this anomalous environment would be cool. I agree with Wanas in saying this could provide new and useful research oppertunities - especially considering the foreign species which are not known to man. Perhaps research towards these species could provide man with valuable knowledge which we can use towards our own benefit or the benefit of the earth
Back to top Go down
tyler brown

tyler brown

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 3:20 pm

ya i agree with taylor. you never know maybe some of these creatures hold the keys to curing diseases and cancer and other things of that sort. they could contain antidotes that could help the world
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 12:29 am

That would be convienent. Only time will tell until our researchers conjure up information from research and perhaps find something useful from these unique creatures. Also this type of area, in doing extensive research on it, could provide insight with regards to the history of earth that we do not currently know about. Perhaps it could provide a new idea which we can build off of
Back to top Go down
Amy Chu

Number of posts : 31

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm sure there are many other places on earth that are rather different from what we usually see, so it really amazes people when a new place is discovered that is not what we consider as normal, therefore, we may come to a conclusion that it is not believable ..and in this article this different place is called "alien earth". I find earth as a very interesting place, I mean there are places where it is extremely hot, then places that are very cold. In my opinion I think that earth has been created in a very special way, like the mono lake, species that live around or in the lake have no problem living with such a harsh environment.
Knowing that this place once had volcanos around it, it really interests me, I wonder how did this place rebuild itself. But because this place had some volcano blast and stuff, it isn't a suprise to know that this place is different, like the salt level and stuff, since it did go through alot. Now many years after, this place is still in good shape, I believe scientests could find out why or just how this area is formed the way it is.

I agree that creatures who live around this area may be a cure for some disease, and I think the only way to know if that's true or not is if scientests actually investigated the place, maybe take a closer look at specific creatures and see if they are the answer to peoples problems.

Back to top Go down
Rad.w

Registration date : 2009-09-08

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 10:58 pm

I agree with Amy when she says that there are many different places on earth that we aren't use to seeing. It's 'alien' to us because we don't understand alot about it, but I'm sure that once research begins to take place and scientists know what to look for they will be able to identify other places just like the one mentioned in the article. When explorers came to north america they didn't know what they had found and it probably seemed alien to them. Many of them probably doubted the use of the land because of the cold conditions, but once they adapted and found reserves it was no longer alien. I think that because we have alreday discovered so much I have the opinion that everything has alreday been discovered, so whenever something new is found, its so surprising, but really there is still alot to find, and alot of discoveries left to be unsolved.
Back to top Go down
tyler brown

tyler brown

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 10:55 pm

i agree. as close as the world is there a still, in my opinion, lots of places that are yet to be explored and examined. we may know they are there but we havent taken a good look yet. like some of the trenches in the ocean. we have not been all the way down and have not studied it closely.
Back to top Go down
markmandrusiak

markmandrusiak

Registration date : 2011-02-05

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: crazy   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 12:52 am

who knew that a place so unique could exist, and honestly this is the first time any of us has heard of it, eh. I think people really need to open their minds to nature and its incredible features. Myself included, I don't want to sound preachy, but kids have to get away from the tv and live in the world around them.
Back to top Go down
Taylor Lashyn

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:21 am

There is forsure lots of areas on earth that have yet to be explored. Like tyler said, in trenches and other places within the vast oceans, there are places where humans have yet to see and explore. Surely more places like this alien earth are in one of these locations. And within these areas are likely species that have never been seen before, and would provide large scientific help in research.
Back to top Go down
AnthonyMattia

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:24 am

Wow, I find things like this so interesting. Its crazy to think that any type of organism could exist and thrive in conditions like this. There are definitely countless discoveries to be made by scientists after examining such species. Organisms on this Earth are capable of much greater things than I think people expect!
Back to top Go down
Josh King Konu

Josh King Konu

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-02-09

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 4:37 am

thats pretty sweet i woounder what else is out there maybe theres a bug or organism that feeds off deformed cells
like cancer!!!??
king
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alien Earth pg.28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Earth pg.28   Alien Earth pg.28 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alien Earth pg.28
Page 1 of 1